Gasherbrum is a remote group of high peaks in the Karakoram, located at the northeast end of the 36-mile Baltoro glacier. The group forms a semi-circle around its own South Gasherbrum Glacier. The peaks are sharp rock pyramids with rugged ridges and steep, towering walls. The highest peak, Gasherbrum I, is also known as Hidden Peak, a name given it by William Martin Conway in 1892 in reference to its extreme remoteness. Three of the Gasherbrum massif's high peaks are over 8,000 meters. Gasherburm I is the world's eleventh highest peak, Broad Peak is the twelfth highest, and Gasherbrum II is the thirteenth highest.
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1958|
|First successful climber(s):||Pete Schoening and Andy Kauffman of Clinch's American expedition|
|Nearest major airport:||Islamabad, Pakistan|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 11 trip reports for Gasherbrum.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22152 - by cleo weidlich on Mar 23, 2011Absolutely gorgeous. Approach is very dangerous and very long... The most awesome climb of 2010 for me. I became the first American woman to summit this mountain and the only woman to top an 8000er...
- Log #14402 - by samson simon sharaf on Nov 22, 2000I just missed the summit on 17 july 1982.Sylvain Suadain made the first 8000er ski descent. Ali was the first Pakistani to summit. He later died on K2.
- Log #14401 - by David Hamilton on Nov 21, 2000Good teamwork between my UK expedition and the japanese GUNMA team opened up the route for several other to reach the summit in the following days. I spent 3 of the next four summers leading...
- Log #14400 - by David Hamilton on Nov 20, 2000The first person to climb G2 on three separate occasions was col Sher Khan, retired comandant of the Pakistan Army Mt Training School in Abbotabad. Then I did it 3 times out of 4 years with my...
- Log #14403 - by Willi Kuhn on Feb 16, 2000member of the swiss hidden peak expedition norbert joos, chur/switzerland
- Log #14404 - by Werner de Jong on Feb 07, 2000I am organizing an expedition to Gasherbrum II in July/August 2001. At this moment I am collecting all teammembers. You can let me know if you are interested. The total cost is including the fligth...
- Log #14405 - by Mohammad Zubair Z. Farooqi on Jan 12, 2000This year I am going to participate in Gasherbrum-II Expedition. This is fist expedition from Saudi Arabia. Expedition Name is CHALLENGE-2000. I need technical help from other clibers to guide me...
- Log #14406 - by S. Scott Adams, M.Ed. on Aug 02, 1999Looking for experienced climbers to help me learn and train to climb an 8000m peak. Willing to work hard and do grunt work to gain experince. If you have any info please contact me at e-mail address....
- Log #14407 - by Geurt van Rennes on July 01, 1999Gasherbrum I Expedition 1998 Expedition in the El Nino year. Many acidents on the mountain. Four Japanees cilled. We did not summit.
- Log #14408 - by Monica Garcia on May 07, 1999During the " First Catalan Expedition to Gasherbrum I " Hidden Peak", the doctor of the expedition Josep Graño Ortega and Albert Ibañez Ruiz who wanted jump in parapent from the top of the peak,...
- Log #14409 - by Geurt van Rennes on Mar 02, 1999Summer 1998 we went to climb Gasherbrum I. Bad weather made it to dangerous (avelanche) to climb te Japanese couloir. Severe acidents and four dead Japanese were the results for those who tried it...