List is toclimb
ItemId is 1099
Similaun is a easy mountain but a very beautiful peak. Normal route is not difficult. The approach is very tiring: from Vernago (1711 m.) to Similaun hutte (3019 m.) are 1300 m. of ascent, then from the "hutte" the normal route covers the easy (without cravasses) glacier to a pass under the final ridge: easy rock climb (I). The panorama is fantastic to all senses. There is a famous North route but it is quite difficult: 55 degree ice and II rock.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Bolzano(Italy); Innsbruck(Austria)|
|Convenient Center:||Vernago(Italy); Vent(Austria)|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 12 trip reports for Similaun.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #14953 - by Tobias Eberlei on Sep 18, 2004Similaun is a great mountain with a great view from the top. The route from the Similaun hut is easy and the North Face iss famous and (from Marzellkamm(3147m)) very impressing. This was a great and...
- Log #14954 - by Mikolaj Orzechowski on Mar 10, 2004Normal route from Similaunhuette was my first trial at a glaciered mountain. Nice climb, not much strain, low visibility but the weather still not so bad. Generally an interesting experience for the...
- Log #14955 - by
Sebastian G on Oct 03, 2003Nice and long day. We came from the Hinteren Schwärze N-Face and Marzellspitzen and went via Similaun back to the Similaunhut.
- Log #14956 - by
Tanja Schurig on Aug 15, 2003I have been strong, but Similaun has been stronger - so I did not succeed in climbing this mountain. May be next year....
- Log #14957 - by Thomas Permanseder on Feb 26, 2003We started on Friday and walked up to the alpine hut. The weather wasn't very good. Despite that we did some crevasse rescue exercise. Saturday morning we started very early.
- Log #14958 - by Nestor Lucas on Sep 18, 2002Excelent glacier conditions this september. Only 2 narrow crevasses had to be crossed at the lower part of the ascent. The narrow ridge leading to the top should not mean a problem even for...
- Log #14959 - by Allex on July 19, 2001fine mountain for beginners, easy from rifugio Similaun
- Log #14960 - by Dániel Marosffy on Aug 22, 2000Nothing else but a short walk up on the glacier. In 2 hours we were even back to Similaunhutte. As last climbe after a week in Oetztal we didn't even require more.
- Log #14961 - by Peter Spijker on July 31, 2000Started at 7.30 in the morning at the Similaunhütte, arrived on the summit at 8.45. Very cold, a lot of snow, a lot of wind, but very worthwhile. My handgloves where frozen to the Gipfelkreuz when I...
- Log #14962 - by Bastiaan Rademakers on July 31, 2000Nice cross on top, especially when the temperature is below zero. Very easy trip...
- Log #14963 - by Nicolette on July 31, 2000We ascended this peak from the Similaunhutte in thick mist. Very easy. Then we descended to the Similaunjoch into an Italian valley. Got lost completely and found our way over goatpathes to the...
- Log #14964 - by Marco Micheli on July 19, 2000Il tempo: stupendo!!! Il lungo avvicinamento da Vernago: stupendo!!! Il rifugio(Similaun Hutte): stupendo!!! Sveglia alle 5.00 am, partenza alle 6.00 am. Percorso semplice e molto frequentato: ne...