List is climbed
ItemId is 134
Kazbek is an extinct volcanic dome, located in relative isolation at the eastern end of the Central Caucasus. It rises near the Russian border in northern Georgia, where Georgians call it Mkinvari, or Ice Mountain. It is indeed an icy mountain, flanked on all sides by large glaciers. Its steep snow and ice slopes and constantly changing weather make this mountain a more difficult climb than one would assume by the huge numbers of visitors it receives. Its popularity is due largely to its accessibility, as it is approached from a good road just off the Georgian Highway.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1868|
|First successful climber(s):||Douglas Freshfield, A.W.Moore, C.C.Tucker|
|Nearest major airport:||Tbilisi, Georgia|
|Convenient Center:||Kazbegi, Georgia|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 19 trip reports for Kazbek.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21965 - by Yossi on Mar 23, 2010I took the first known trail to the dome. It begins in Gveletti, and than through the old meteo station. Slightly scary way to go there, because at night, by the station we had some "visitors".
- Log #21836 - by Jan Stolba on Dec 07, 2009Kazbek is also called Mkinvartsveri in Georgian and Bashlan in Chechen language. According to Greek mythology, Prometheus was chained to its rocks as a punishment for stealing fire from the gods....
- Log #21344 - by Wlodek Kierus on July 15, 2008We did 3 camps: 1 - before a pass, 2 - Meteostation, 3 - before plateau. Summit day we started about 2 a.m. and got a summit about 9:30 a.m. of local time.
- Log #21155 - by an anonymous user on Jan 23, 2008We went from the Gviletty, from the old meteostation.Weather was very good.camped by the station.A few almasty were heard at night time.
- Log #20523 - by Markus on Dec 05, 2006We climbed it with Ski's. Perfekt weather on this day. More Information and Pictures at my Website: http://www.stadler-markus.
- Log #19404 - by sander on Sep 27, 2006Straightforward ski+skins ascend from former Russian weather station. Ski depot at 4500m and remainder on crampons. Last section, about 100m, on ice (need axe and rope (fix with ice screws)...
- Log #3467 - by Arhcil Tsintsadze on Jan 22, 2004I'm a georgian mountainguide and live since 3 years in germany. in moment I make my german official ski- and mountainguide diplom and since october I have my own company who organise mountain tours...
- Log #3468 - by Luisa Andreis on Nov 16, 2003I climbed Mt. Kazbek from Kazbegi village. A local guide, Vatanghi Kirikaschvili, escorted us. We slept in the Meteo Station.
- Log #3469 - by BORJA VALDES CERDAN on Oct 08, 2003WE CLIMBED KAZBEK ON JULY OF 2000. WE WERE THREE SPANISH CLIMBERS, MIKEL ORTIZ, JORGE BAYERRI AND ME, BORJA VALDES. YOU WILL FIND MY SUMMIT PHOTOGRAPH ON http: abesan.eresmas.com
- Log #3470 - by Joseph Bolotin on July 11, 2002Good day to all of you, I went there from the oldest trail, from Gviletti, North part. We took Amali-Tzhali river and to the old Meteorologikal station and then Devdorak gletcher. This is an original...
- Log #3471 - by michele righi on Mar 28, 2002We was a group of 6 italian alpinist. We had climbed the Kazbek by ski-mountaineering. We was on the top at 12.00 of 30/3/2000.
- Log #3472 - by andrea melozzi on Jan 30, 2002Sono salito sulla cima del Kazbek il 16 luglio 1987 con altri 15 amici del Gruppo Sportivo "Gualdo" di Sesto Fiorentino (FI). Sono occorsi tre giorni di avvicinamento poichË provenivamo dal campo...
- Log #3473 - by the beduine w. gratzel on Jan 23, 2002was an easy top with surab our guide from gergeti! perfect weather conditions helped us a lot! we have been alone on the top and on the meteostation. Also otar from wwf center - he studied in...
- Log #3474 - by Richard Knox on Nov 03, 2001I was living in Tblisi at the time, and in Baku before, and of the mountains in Azerbaijan and Georgia that I climbed this was the best, especially for an intermediate climber. Ortveri ridge beside...
- Log #3475 - by
William brook on Sep 16, 2001we found some notes and small snow stakes on the summit where thry yours? Don't climb it in summer starting at 9 in the morning. everything melts and falls off. v. scary
- Log #3476 - by eric on Aug 30, 2001we plan to climb the kazbek peak and trek in this area in september 2001. all informations about climbing routes and treking on are realy welcome!!! see you all mountains lovers.
- Log #3477 - by Joseph on Mar 29, 2001I went from old trail, from Gviletti. I was with my glf. Last two camps we had were at the Old station and than on the gletcher. We had a lot of fun becouse we took the old and very first way.
- Log #3478 - by Brian Williamson on Aug 29, 2000Try to spend time at altitude, but below the met station at around 3600m before the climb. Going straight to 3600 may lead to symptoms of altitude sickness and make the climb hard going. You can...
- Log #3479 - by Andrew Wielochowski on Nov 15, 1999It is a long day's drive from Tbilisi to Kazbegi, then a 7 hour walk to 3900 - the Met. Station - almost a ruined when I was there but I am told it is being done up. Now a long glacier plod - beware...