Monte Pissis is the third highest mountain in South America, behind Aconcagua (22,841 ft.) and Ojos del Salado (22,572 ft.). Monte Pissis is an extremely remote mountain, rising east of the Argentina-Chile border, on the rim of the Atacama Desert. It is seldom climbed because of the length and logistical difficulties of an approach, particularly difficult given the aridity of this desert region. A winter ascent is recommended because snow may be the only source of water.
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Year first climbed:||1937|
|First successful climber(s):||Osiecki and Szczepanski|
|Nearest major airport:||Santiago del Estero or , San Juan, Argentina|
|Convenient Center:||Tinogasta, Argentina|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 17 trip reports for Monte Pissis.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21560 - by Ffabrice Rimlinger on Dec 31, 2008Team "Puna Argentina 2008" - Gnome - Patrick Nehring - Fabrice Rimlinger Acclimatation : 1 week at "Las Grutas" and on Incahuasi Route : Normal from BC "Mar del Plata" @ 4600m D1 - BC 4600m --> C1...
- Log #20618 - by bruno baschung on Jan 23, 2007I summited this peak december 2006 5th
- Log #6147 - by Fernando on Oct 03, 2004December 18th 2004 we will try to summit Pissis and Bonete. Somebody who would like to share this experience? We are a non-commercial expedition. Duration: 4 - 5 weeks Meeting point: Catamarca,...
- Log #6148 - by baschung on May 09, 2004In search of information about Pissis and Bonete, My new e mail is firstname.lastname@example.org address : 547 Route du Jaillet 74120 MEGEVE FRANCE
- Log #6149 - by Massimo Ordiano on Feb 08, 2004siamo saliti in tre persone, io, Fabrizio Ghilardi Milano (Italia), Daniel Ramos Salta Argentina, partiti dal campo base il giorno 27/01/04, abbiamo raggiunto il campo 1 a 5400 metri, il giorno...
- Log #6150 - by Juan Pablo Gitelli on Jan 22, 2004Junto con cuatro amigos montañistas realizamos la Primer Traves'a Integral al Volcán Pissis, desde la Laguna Brava en La Rioja hasta el CB Mar del Plata en Catamarca, haciendo cumbre y dos noches...
- Log #6151 - by Sverre Aarseth on Jan 14, 2004At 60 years, I made a solo ascent with a new route from Chile pioneered by Giancarlo Fiocco. I made the first reliable altitude determination using a GPS. The result was 6874 m with error of 50 m,...
- Log #6152 - by Gillian Tucker on Oct 14, 2003On March 15th 2003, our son Neil, aged 24yrs, was reported missing after having failed to return from soloing the summit of Mount Pissis in Argentina. His body has not been found. If you have climbed...
- Log #6153 - by Polo Jean Do on Oct 03, 2002Bonjour Vite vite des infos,en janvier nous partons escalader le mont Pissis en Argentine et malheureusement nous n'avons pas beaucoup d'information. Alors si vous en disposez faites nous signe...
- Log #6154 - by Claire Hughes and Nestor Zabala on Mar 21, 2002We took around 10 days (from BC) to go for Pissis to allow for any problems especially acclimatization(from 10th march to 19th March). We had great logistical help from Jonson Reynoso (Fiambala)...
- Log #6155 - by JOSE PELLICER on Feb 02, 2002AGRADECERIA CUALQUIER TIPO DE INFORMACION SOBRE EL VOLCAN PISSIS,VIAS ASCENSION,CLIMATOLOGIA,EXPEDICIONES...ETC.
- Log #6156 - by Ed Darack on Jan 30, 2002Information on Cerro Pissis, and a book that includes maps, photographs, and information on the mountain, can be found at: www.highestandes.com
- Log #6157 - by Stu Ritchie on Dec 20, 2001We recieved good logistical info. from Bob Villareal. After summitting Aconcagua and Ojos De Salado, we went directly to Pissis. I don't think it would be very wise to try to aclimitize in this...
- Log #6159 - by Bob Villarreal on Nov 24, 2001I have a new E-Mail address. If you want information on this peak, please drop me a note. Bob Villarreal
- Log #6160 - by Sebastian Pilar on Mar 01, 2000Fuimos Julian Knoop, y Sebastian Pilar del grupo de montaña Incahuasi: sebastian hizo cumbre el dia 20 de febrero y en la cumbre este del cerro . saludos a todos........
- Log #6161 - by Jaime Suárez Gonzalez on Dec 16, 1999figurara mi relato en la pagina WWW citada arriba.
- Log #6162 - by Bob Villarreal on Dec 15, 1999I have been to this peak five times, climbed the main summit once and a sub peak once. If you want info on an approach from Chile and for routes on the peak, please contact me.