Very exciting peak. Don't let the 6500 foot elevation fool you - the base is less than 100 feet above sea level. Very steep the whole way. In May through July you will be on steep snow for most of the route. In August through Early September the bottom half turns to nasty scree. Near the top you come around the south part of the mountain, it may be snow-free in June and July, but it's still very steep with a series of short (20' - 25') class 3 cliff bands. You may or may want to rope up, because it's so steep between cliffs the exposure is frightening. MANY CLIMBERS HAVE FALLEN TO THEIR DEATHS ON THIS MOUNTAIN.
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Anchorage|
Thanks to Tom Mangelsdorf for adding this peak.
There are 6 trip reports for Pioneer Peak.
- Log #18272 - by Joshua Phillips on July 16, 2003I just wanted to let you all know that this Mountain beat me back in the summer of 2002,... we started the hike at 10pm,.. and insanely sprinted as fast as we could. we came so close,.
- Log #18273 - by Joshua Phillips on July 17, 2003Ryan Marley, Jake Jensen, Laurie West, and I "Joshua Phillips" conquered the south summit of Pioneer Peak, when we got there the american flag was knocked over so we rebuilt the rock...
- Log #18274 - by Nick on July 18, 2003This summit has purposed some challanges to me over the years. It stands to this day the only mountain i have turned off before summit, and now turned off twice! In 2001 one a buddy and I got rained...
- Log #18275 - by
Paul Frazier on June 21, 2003We left for the hike at about 0500 we didnt bring much water or food, big mistak hehe. we made the false peak at or around 1200 but we didnt make the true 6500 peak until 1800 we were out of water...
- Log #18276 - by Tom Mangelsdorf on June 04, 2003Very strenuous. Steep all the way. Watch the ridge to the right as you come up the gully. It looks like easier travel and it LOOKS like it heads to the summit - but it dead ends waaaay short of the...
- Log #20171 - by Lionel Kennedy on Aug 07, 2006What the Peakware climb description does not tell you is that there are two Pioneer Peaks, a north summit and a south summit. Like most people we used the Pioneer Ridge trail from Knik River Road and...