List is favorites
ItemId is 329
Mitch organized a trip to Scott Peak and Hubbart Peak this past Sunday. The plan was for John, Ian and Ian's friend to do only Scott. Mitch, Matt and I would do both summits. We left the cars at 6:20am. We followed the old road just past the main N. Fork Skykomish River about 1/4 mile until the major washout. Then we headed up on the other side of the washout. It was very nice going in the old growth forest. We hit snow around 3200' and the snow was firm for a change. At around 4300', we traversed left across the basin and up to the NW ridge about 100' below the summit. The ridge was narrow and partially snow-covered. At this point we put a rope in and prusiked up. The rope work took about 1.5 hours to get the 6 of us to the summit. We stayed about 20-30 minutes. Mitch headed down first to set up a repel. We repelled about 50 to the snow. It was 12:15pm when the party split into two groups. My group was going for Hubbart. We looked over the options where to go. If we traversed high, we risked possible snow slab releases (some car-sized blocks were ready to release). The NW ridge did not have an easy way off into the basin. Mitch had a report from Grant that indicated at 4400' there was a way off. So we dropped to 4400' on the ridge. The snow was very soft and tough going. We dropped into the basin and traversed around 4200', then went up to 4700' where we found a problem. We needed to cross a deep cut (death-trap) gully. We fussed around quite a while on what to do. It looked like a route through could be made at ~4500 but if snow was to release, we would be in danger. We first choose a lower route. Matt scrambled up a possible route and found it did not go. It was getting around 3:30pm. We made the decision accept failure and go home. Matt and I put the rope away. Mitch was head out. When Matt and I headed out, Mitch and re-considered his options and decided to look higher for a route where we first rejected. He found something around 4500' that went. We all followed. Mitch said he would kick all the steps to the summit (and he did). We gained the ridge at 5100'. Matt/Mitch dumped their packs. I took my pack but tossed out most everything. We left the packs at 5:15pm. I was post-holing Mitch steps, so I took some time to fill-in prevent the additional"post-holing". I summited at 6:05, Matt at ~6:10. Matt and I stayed admiring the views and taking photos till 6:30pm. The views were tremendous. We could see the sound and all the Islands. We discussed a possible down route. We looked at following the W ridge till the saddle at 4300', then drop left and traverse. As we descended the ridge, we could see that it would not go. So we ascended up & over to Pt 4450, then dropped off the SW ridge. At around 4300' we hit a 30' cliff. We used the rope to repel. The repel had a 20' overhang (I did not like it that much). We continued following the ridge. This route had some bush but was not bad. At around 2000' we hit an old clearcut. We could hear Silver Creek (River) below. Upon reaching the creek, we looked for a crossing. We were not going to get across without a log. We found one log which was slanted and 20' above the creek. It had bark and I just went across with no problem. The others followed but seem happy when they reached the other side. We found the old road. Darkness had set in and we were forced to dug out the headlamps around 9:30pm. The old road is now used as a trail and we could see others had been in. We followed it about 2.5 miles to the car. Back to the car at 10:45pm. Another great trip but a little long. Stats: 9 miles, 6200', 16.5 hours, May 23, 1999.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Seattle|
Thanks to Stefan Feller for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are currently no Scott Peak trip reports! You can be the first to submit one!