List is favorites
ItemId is 382
Cordon del Plata is located 50 miles from Mendoza. Its location makes it a very popular climbing area (it is also a ski resort). Many climbers go there to acclimate before attempting Aconcagua. Mount Plata is the highest mountain; other peaks are Vallecitos (5770 meters) and Rincon (5500 meters).
Technical skills are not required to climb these mountains, but there are some nice routes for ice climbing in Mount Rincon too.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Mendoza|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Plata.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20805 - by Robert Nürnberger on June 05, 2007Despite it's height the Cerro Plata is really simple to walk up (no climbing). In Janaury Crampons weren't necessary as only a few old snowfields had to be crossed.
- Log #10141 - by Miquel Rafa on Jan 11, 2003Normal route from Vallecitos. 3 days (2 camps) to summit. Done with my Wife Barbara and friend Alexander von Götz. GPS points: ESTACIÓN VALLECITOS(end road): 3493m, 32,58.
- Log #10140 - by
marcelo krings on Jan 10, 2003Renato Affonso Y yo intentamos la cumbre en enero. Muy cansado lo espere retornar poco abajo de la cumbre, como demoraba para llegar subi para buscarlo y lo encontre bajando por otro lado, falto poco...
- Log #10139 - by
marcelo krings on Jan 09, 2003Direto do CB, muito cansado, esperei meu amigo Renato ir ate o cume e voltar, como ele demorava para retornar resolvi subir e busca-lo, perto do cume nos encontramos e retornamos.
- Log #10142 - by Pedro Hauck on Dec 22, 2002I recommend for those who to start in mountaineering, and mainly for aclimatise to Aconcagua.
- Log #10143 - by Ernesto Vilarrasa on Apr 29, 2002It's a very good school of High Mountain activity !
- Log #10144 - by Jörgen Brenneis on Apr 14, 2002I measured this mountain with two altimeters way up and down from Potrerilos street cross (Rio Mendoza valley) and my result was 5700 meters instead of the often used abut 6300 m. Though the...