List is climbed
ItemId is 628
One of the easiest 4000 m peaks in the Alps. The normal route to the summit leads along the northwest ridge coming from the Adlerpass. The Allalinglacier was once so big, that it blocked the upper part of the Saas-valley, and created a lake. When the ice barrier collapsed, it caused severe destruction in Saas-valley.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1854|
|First successful climber(s):||Christopher Smyth, Ulrich Lauener, Edmund J. Grenville, and Franz-Josef Andenmatten|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva|
Thanks to Frank Verwijs for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Strahlhorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21012 - by Ben Bonnaerens on Sep 06, 2007Stood twice on this surprisingly narrow summit : once in may 2005 and once in july 2007. An endless long ascent/descent in a burning hot sun. Magnificent views over the Monte Rosa area.
- Log #12332 - by Christine Theodorovics on June 24, 2004One of my favorite climbs every (skis). Had such a clear view that you could see the Toedi! :-))))
- Log #12333 - by
TW on Oct 03, 2003A rather boring climb with a long walk over the glacier. Would have been an enjoyable ski tour in the spring. Britannia hut instead was very comfortable place to stay at!
- Log #12334 - by Valerie Bennett on Aug 26, 2002A group of nine from the mountaineering club in Biberach, Germany.
- Log #12335 - by Pavel Barták on Aug 21, 2002From glacier close to Britania Hute with group of 45 people organised by Adventura travel as aclimatisation tour before Mont Blanc. Very strong wind at summit.
- Log #12336 - by Massimo Liperi on July 11, 2002From Britanniahuette with ski. Windy on the top. Fantastic skiride in descent.
- Log #12337 - by Janos Granicz on Feb 28, 2002Karoly Barta - Janos Granicz Our route: Summit route via the West - South-West Ridge; Fluealp (our tent) - Adler Glacier - Adlerhorn (3988 m) - Strahlhorn - Adler Pass - Adler Glacier - Fluealp...
- Log #12338 - by sam stradamus on Mar 18, 2001We got to the summit in 4 hours, it is a nice not too difficult climb. The brittania hut is certainly not one of the best, you even have to pay for your water(!) and there are way too much tourists...
- Log #12339 - by Jan van der Straaten on Dec 18, 2000The Strahlhorn can be climbed best from the Britanniahütte. We left at 3.45 AM, together with our guide. What is rather disappointing, that you down first to reach the glacier.