You must be logged in to add a peak to your list of peaks you plan to climb.
Highest point in Maryland.
|Best months for climbing:||Feb, Sep, Oct, Nov|
|First successful climber(s):||Hoye|
|Nearest major airport:||Morgantown|
There are 10 trip reports for Backbone Mountain.
- Log #13018 - by Yury Konev on July 26, 2004Tried driving up the rough logging road, but that was a mistake. Drove in reverse back down to the trailhead, and hiked up the logging road instead. Afterwards, the real trail begins, which is just a...
- Log #13019 - by
Glenn Thomas on Mar 16, 2004Made the mistake of trying to drive up the logging road (sight unseen) - Bad idea. I am new to highpointing, but it was a very "friendly" experinece to reach the top and find certificates....
- Log #13020 - by Lyle, Matt, Aaron, Josh Biddinger on Jan 05, 200420th Highpoint Nice New Years day hike. Great Weather. Being from Dallas the boys like the snow. Went on to Mt Davis.
- Log #13021 - by Joe & Nathan Wonsetler on Jan 04, 2004Looking at other descriptions I wonder how many did the peak of Backbone which is in WV and how many did Hoye-Crest, the official high point of MD on the border and the northeast ridge of Backbone?...
- Log #13023 - by Keith Levchenko on Dec 17, 2002My family and I decided to take a morning trip to Backbone Mountain during our stay at Deep Creek Lake. We had a hard time finding the trail from the road. In fact, I parked the minivan with my wife...
- Log #13025 - by
Chris Gilsdorf on Nov 26, 2001Dad and I took the less conventional route, up the power lines then along the ridge. I suggest it for winter, but probably too overgrown to do easily in the summer. Involves moderate class 2...
- Log #13026 - by Michael Huffman on Apr 24, 2001I almost fell off but my brother saved me I almost had a heart attack after that day It scares the living Hell out of me!!!!
- Log #13027 - by Chris Swansiger on Jan 28, 2001Read a comprehensive trip report and see pictures and other info at my website!
- Log #22430 - by Caj E Svensson on Oct 10, 2013Eva and I just found out about Highpointing and made a not to long road trip from Murrysville, PA, were we live. We parked the rental along the road and made a quick ascent up the hill. Took a...
- Log #22435 - by Steve Gruhn on Oct 10, 2013Followed the painted trees to the summit.