List is climbed
ItemId is 82
Fitzroy is the high peak in a cluster of vertical rock spires that rise on the eastern edge of one of the great Patagonian ice caps. Several compact mountain groups rise alongside the ice caps, but the Fitzroy group is easily the most spectacular. Its rocky pinnacles tower with incredible steepness, providing fine rock wall climbs. Fitzroy, as well as Cerro Torre (10,262 ft.), another great peak which rises from a neighboring group, are located within Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina. Many other excellent climbs are located here as well. Across the border into Chile, the park extends to the Pacific coast as the Bernardo O'Higgins National Park. This area has traditionally been too remote to access without considerable difficulty, although tourism is now beginning to enter the area.
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Mar, Dec|
|Year first climbed:||1952|
|First successful climber(s):||Lionel Terray, Guido Magnone|
|Nearest major airport:||Since 2000, El Calafate has its own airport. It is no longer necessary to travel via Rio Gallegos.|
|Convenient Center:||Calafate (small town on the southern shores of Lago Argentino)|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 6 trip reports for Cerro Fitzroy.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #2155 - by Martin Lascano on Mar 16, 2004Subimos ala Paso Superior con tiempo dudoso el d'a 26, para ver si mejoraban las condiciones climáticas. Nos desperatmos a las 0:00Am del 27 y seguia igual, asi que decidimos seguir durmiendo, a...
- Log #2156 - by Timmyo O'Neill on Mar 12, 2004Nathan Martin and I established a new route on the west face called Tonta Suerte. Grade VI 5.11 A1 It was incredible climbing and incredible suffering at some points. We spent two days climbing the...
- Log #2157 - by Andes Mountain Expediciones on Aug 29, 2003Guided trekking in Patagonia, Fitz Roy - Torres del Paine.
- Log #2158 - by Gapp Günther on May 07, 2003We climbed Fitz Roy on February 16th 2003 via Franco Argentino, with Raimund Moser. 20 hours from Passo Superior and back. Storm at the summit.
- Log #2159 - by David Fasel on Feb 03, 2003Climbed Fitz Roy via the Super Canaleta the 31.12.02. Spent New Years Eve on top and rapelled down early morning the 01.01.03 via the Franco/Argentino
- Log #2160 - by Willi Kuhn on Feb 16, 2000california route 30.12.98: campo base rio blanco to brecha de los italianos. 31.12.98: 05.00 a.m. beautyful weather - climbing to the start of the california route.