|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1855|
|First successful climber(s):||Charles Hudson, J. Smyth, C. Smyth, E. Stephenson, John Birkbeck, and party|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva, Switzerland|
|Convenient Center:||Zermatt, Switzerland, (approach from north) Alagna, Italy, (approach from south)|
Monte Rosa is a huge glacier covered massif with ten summits. Its highest summits, Dufourspitze (4633m), Nordend (4609m), Zumsteinspitze (4563), and Signalkuppe (4556m), are four of the five highest peaks in the Alps. Only Mont Blanc (4807m) is higher.
Monte Rosa's glaciers flow in abundance, but only on the northern flanks, where they stream toward the pastures of the Zermatt valley. The south side, in contrast, presents a steep face of rugged precipices which drop suddenly to the lush valleys below.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 24 trip reports for Monte Rosa.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22062 - by mpazzani on Aug 31, 2010With George Dunn, Brent Okita.
- Log #21782 - by Christine Theodorovics on Sep 28, 2009Great clims and magnificient view.
- Log #21451 - by Neil Taylor on Sep 29, 2008Embarked on a five day climb starting at the Breithorn. We slept in the Italian huts, ascending a little further each day. We covered Castor, Naso, Vincent Pyramide, Parrotspitz and Signalkuppe,...
- Log #14052 - by Mario Cuder on June 20, 2004Escursione scialpinistica da Punta Indren, Capanna Gnifetti, Capanna Regina Margherita, Scuola di Scialpinismo CAI Tolmezzo, a fine corso; dodici componenti accompagnati dall'INSA Luciano Querini di...
- Log #14053 - by
Michael Taylor on Sep 29, 2003A lot of snowy terrain. We bagged other little 4000m summits along the way. (Balmenhorn 4321m, Ludwigshoehe 4342m, Parrotspitze 4335)
- Log #14054 - by Leif Martin Meland on Aug 19, 2003Summited together with my son and in a fantastic sunrise.
- Log #14055 - by beatrice on Apr 23, 2003A dream becomes a real thing: wonderful, amazing ... we reach Capanna Margherita late in the morning, from Gnifetti Rifugio with our ski !!!
- Log #14056 - by Marco Carli on Mar 14, 2003Non ho inviato le mie foto, ma possono essere visionate nel mio sito www.monterosa4000.it
- Log #14058 - by Ferdinando Saglio on Oct 02, 2001My guide Alex and I have climbed the Dufourspitze from the Gnifetti hut via the beautiful and panoramic Cresta Rey, with nobody climbing above us, and nobody behind us. Of course, the top was fully...
- Log #14059 - by pleskonjic tijana on June 02, 2001the most beatiful mountain in the world.this was the first time i climbed so high.it was very hard,but also my greatest dream came truth.
- Log #14061 - by Stan Sattelberg on Jan 26, 2000Part of a four (out of the five) summits Which, to minimize repetition) is described in my account under "Signalkuppe"
- Log #14062 - by schick max on Dec 25, 1999it took me 15 hours from the monte rosa hutte. had a fall in a crevasse, and arrived totally exhausted.but what a view to the italian side !! ( macugnaga )
- Log #14063 - by Nick Adlam on Oct 22, 1999I attempted this one at the age of 17 with a friend. We had to wait three days for reasonable weather, but then got bored waiting and left at 6 o'clock in the evening, summiting at 4 o'clock to a...
- Log #14064 - by Borislav Dimitrov on Oct 11, 1999I want to make a ski descent from this peak in the middle of december, i am 16 years old, i have some experience in ski-mountaineering(i am a racer), i am in need of information
- Log #14065 - by Oyvind Lind Petersen on Aug 26, 1999I`ve been strugling with this peak for five seasons. The mainproblem was to get some sleep before you they wake you up at 2 pm. Then suddenly, my Guide told me, you are at the very top. The weather...
- Log #14066 - by Marek Rabij on Aug 18, 1999We started at 4 AM form a tent behind the M.Rosa Hutte. The summit - 11 AM. Weather and snow condition in normal route was very good.
- Log #14067 - by Jan Bockstael on Aug 15, 1999Gewoonweg prachtige dag, enorm zicht. Het begin van een ongelooflijke vakantie, maarliefst 5 vierduizenders (Signalkuppe, Balmenhorn, Vincentpyramide, Dom en de Allalinhorn) Eerder had ik reeds de...
- Log #14068 - by Claudia on July 18, 1999We started our ascent from the Monte Rosa hut at 1:45 am and reached the top of "Dufourspitze" at 9 am. Fortunately we enjoyed nice and sunny weather - it was great to just sit there and...
- Log #14069 - by Stefan Weber on June 30, 1999We made the 'Cresta Santa Caterina' up the NO Ridge of the Nordend. It was one of out hardest climbs but very very good climbing ! GO FOR IT ...
- Log #14070 - by Ilario Rigon on June 03, 1999We started from Cittý di Mantova cabin (3500 m.). It was a long easy snow walk on the glacier up to Zumstein Sp. (4559 m.) and then a rock/snow ridge (that's the normal route from Italy ; level...
- Log #14071 - by Mike Green on Apr 26, 1999We had one of our best (and longest) alpine days on a traverse of Monte Roas taking in all but the Nordend and approaching from the Italian side. Starting from the Balmenhorn bivvy hut and a very...
- Log #14072 - by Jeroen Caers on Mar 09, 1999For pictures and information check my site about the ALPS
- Log #14073 - by Kobe Bellinkx on Jan 17, 1999We tried the normal route from the "monte rose" cabin. It's a very long and boring route. Only the last bit makes up for it. It's the traverse of the ridge towards the summit.
- Log #14074 - by Marian LIPTAK on Oct 16, 1998Very nice walking throuhg glacier and then easy climbing on the ridge.(Rocks, ice, snow) However be carefull!!! Don't underestimate this mountain! A gay fell in crevess and died one before our ascent.