|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1800|
|First successful climber(s):||Count von Salm, Prince Bishop of Gurk, and his party of sixty|
|Nearest major airport:||Innsbruck or Salzburg, Austria|
|Convenient Center:||Heiligenblut, Austria|
Grossglockner is the highest peak in Austria. It is a lofty rocky peak rising near the center of the Long Hohe Tauern ridge, and looming at the head of the Moll Valley, a popular tourist area. The name Grossglockner is German for Big Bell, a reference to the shape of its grand peak. The mountain is surrounded by glaciers, but is not a difficult climb. The summit trail starts at the 8,000-foot Hotel Franz Joseph, and is well worn by steady tourist traffic.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 53 trip reports for Grossglockner.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21871 - by Nagy István on Feb 09, 2010On the first day we spent the night at Stüdlhütte, then we woke up at 5am to summit. We climbed the Stüdlgrat route. Unforgettable sunrise and ascent. Cloudy at the summit.
- Log #21748 - by Bart Offeringa on Aug 18, 2009We did the Studlgrat. We had great weather and clear view.
- Log #21102 - by an anonymous user on Dec 04, 2007Andy Anderson and I started out on the approach on the May 19 2007 we encountered the firs hut about two hours into the hike just when it strarted to rain. The hut was not open so we found a...
- Log #19019 - by Ferenc, Kment on Nov 01, 2005We have climbed the Mayerlrampe ice route at the North Face with very good weather conditions. The biwak was overcrowded, but at the route there was only one party aside from us.
- Log #2650 - by Alexander Haupt on Sep 06, 2004Remarkable summit in the Eastern Alps with a wonderful view in any direction.
- Log #2648 - by
nick murphy on Sep 05, 2004one of the most enjoyable mountains i have ever climbed I am re entering my info to this web site just to let anyone who is interested know that i have almost completed a book on the summiting of the...
- Log #2651 - by Rafal Jozwik on Sep 04, 2004Nice summit. Quite difficult. Too many people in one place at the same time. If you have any questions just mail me.
- Log #2652 - by Krist0f on Sep 03, 2004A very nice peak, relatively easy (when climbed in summer), relatively difficult at last stage from about 3500 (kind of exposed climb). Try Stuedlgrat climb (IV) if you're advanced. Great view...
- Log #2654 - by Nicky Murphy on July 20, 2004My reasons for climbing and summiting the GROSSGLOCKNER were conversations with Pat Falvey who summitted EVEREST this year.Pat advised me to go for the summit as even though he has climbed mountains...
- Log #2655 - by Helmut on Apr 28, 2004From Lucknerhaus (near Kals) up to Stüdlhütte to the top with skis.
- Log #2656 - by Ricardo Alberto Daudt on Nov 11, 2003My greatgrandparents were Tyrolese and they came from the region of the Etsch (it's modern days an Italian territory, the Alto-Adige). My grandfather told me that his father (my greatgrandfather)...
- Log #2657 - by
Tom Hendricks on Sep 11, 2003We went to the Glockner Bivak and started the next day from there to the Pallavicinirinne. We had good conditions. Some short parts were icey. The rocks at the end had a thin layer of waterice.
- Log #2658 - by rens van zaltbommel on Sep 03, 2003summited with our guide (wolfi, great guy & powerfull leader) on a clear and sunny day. Wolfi had us up in under 1.30 from the E-J hutte. It was my first summit ever and I won't forget! The GG is...
- Log #2659 - by Chris Northedge on Aug 26, 2003With Harrow Mountaineering Club
- Log #2660 - by Janne Leppänen on Aug 20, 2003We were a Finnish-Swedish-Iranian "expedition". We began by driving to Heilegenblut from the Munich. The toll for the Grossglocknerstrasse was fairly expensive, about 25 euros. We began our...
- Log #2661 - by Simas Kunca on July 31, 2003It was our first climb in Austrian Alps. Three of us started at 5 a.m. from Kals am Grossglockner. Path from Lucknerhaus to Lucknerhuette and Stuedlhuette.
- Log #2662 - by Jan-Theo Varkevisser on July 23, 2003Clear morning, we left at 10 am from adlersruhe via the 'normalweg'. We had to wait for about 10 min at the end of the snowfield for the endless row of climbers returning from the summit. After a...
- Log #2663 - by Janne Leppänen on May 31, 2003Hello fellow climbers! I'm planning on climbing Gross Glockner in either June or July 2003. I'm looking for someone or a group I can climb with. Let's celebrate the mountains! Telephone +358 44 271...
- Log #2664 - by John Howard on May 28, 2003I have been an avid 'fellwalker' in the UK, climbing my first real peak (skiddaw) at the age of 4 with my father. (He swares I walked all the way). Knowing that my honeymoon was to be in Austria, and...
- Log #2665 - by Bakó Barna on May 26, 2003Ismeretlen úton, hóban, viharban elérni a csúcsot és arról visszatérni örök élmény...
- Log #2666 - by Kuba Turek on May 22, 2003Im lucky man - the weather was always great! My foto Grossglockner-climbs: http://www.horydoly.cz/vypsat.php?id=35 http://www.horydoly.cz/vypsat.
- Log #2667 - by
Italo deutsch on May 09, 2003Oben habe ich den besten Ausblick meines Lebens genossen. Der aufstieg war zwar schwer aber es war ein tolles Abenteuer:das viele Eisklettern und das Übernachten im Zelt.
- Log #2669 - by Gabor Szentesi on Feb 14, 2003Glockner is my "home" peak, I love it. I was there 4 times, from normal route and from Stüdlgrat too and just once I had to turn back from the Klein Glockner.
- Log #2670 - by János Borsody on Dec 28, 2002I can hardly remember anything, since it was so long ago. We slept at Erzherzog Johann Hutte - but we had no sleeping bags - before summiting the peak, but after the first attempt due a great crowd...
- Log #2671 - by Peter Van der Auwera on Dec 20, 2002Weather was ok. Foggy but no rain. Above the clouds it was magnificent ! Peter
- Log #2672 - by Patrick en Kees on Dec 07, 2002After months of preparation and being nervous finally our first summit attempt and yes we made it. Thanks to Robert (fellow cimber)and Martin (guide). Next summit will be Mont Blanc in 2004 and...
- Log #2673 - by Peter F. Green on Nov 30, 2002Climbed the Glockner by several routes, starting with the ordinary one up the Hoffmanns glacier to the Adlersruhe and along the South-East ridge to the summit. The parties were all from No.1 War...
- Log #2674 - by K. Gabesz on Oct 18, 2002It was a really great and dangerous climb, but, unfortunately, there was nothing to be seen from the peak...
- Log #2675 - by Paul Fowkes on Sep 03, 2002Very misty, no view. But reached summit at 10.30am after 5.15 am start from Salmhutte (excellent food!).
- Log #2677 - by Bart on July 14, 2002A misty morning and a misty climb but... BERGHEIL !
- Log #2679 - by Peter Molnar on May 12, 2002I climbed the peak on my own, in honor of my beloved mom, I lost three months prior to my ascend. God bless her!
- Log #2680 - by Dennis van Dalen on May 03, 2002It was my life's wish to once stand on the summit of the Glockner. I went to Kals many times with parents and later alone. On january 1 2001 I dicided to do it, together with two friends Mark and...
- Log #2681 - by Mat Bernhauser on Mar 26, 2002although i have scaled k2 and everest i thought this was still a bitch from the north face give it ago its worth it!(beautiful scenery to)
- Log #2682 - by Otto Schapendonk on Mar 11, 2002Climbed Pallavicinni with Coenraad, Harald and Wouter. Had great fun and good wheater.
- Log #2683 - by André Hartmann on Jan 21, 2002See http://communities.msn.com/g07cpcfn6g29cglss4s3bfuns7/shoebox.msnw for the full story :)
- Log #2684 - by Harry J. Przekop, PA-C on Dec 29, 2001Beautiful... shared experience with new bride Ellen..who on this trip was given a new ice ax
- Log #2686 - by baczoni Andres on July 29, 2001I summit it with my brother in one day from Lucknerhouse(1920m). We are climbed the southwest edge. This is colled Studlgrat. If somebody want any information please send an e-mail.
- Log #2687 - by Otto Schapendonk on June 15, 2001Summited with Maarten Faas, we climbed the Stüdlgrat. Conditions were bad, we (I?) were slow and I hit Maarten with my crampon. Zero visibility.
- Log #2688 - by ifj. Négyesi Miklós on May 10, 2001We reached the summit in a cold, windy autumn morning. We couldn't see anything thanks to the fog, but it was a glorious feeling. I love climbing!
- Log #2689 - by Cam McKechnie on Apr 12, 2001climbed ca August, 1974
- Log #2690 - by Maarten Faas on Mar 12, 2001See my article in De Hoogtelijn n. 1 - 2001, the magazin of the Dutch Mountainering Club.
- Log #2691 - by Fritz Branschofsky on Jan 25, 2001At age 10, with an arm in a cast, it was quite an adventure. But thanks to my parents who guided me up there, it was glorious! Thirteen years later I returned to relive the experience. Next time????
- Log #2692 - by Werner.Katzenberger on Dec 25, 2000Wonderful climb on Studlgrat. Thanks to guide Peter Tembler (Kals am Grossglockner)
- Log #2693 - by Petr Beranek on Sep 13, 2000Relatively easy but very nice climb, it is worth to take crampoons over the Kleinglockner with you as the ice ridge between Kleinglockner and Grossglockner is very slippy. Grossglockner is a very...
- Log #2694 - by Dave Goscha on June 24, 2000I brought a group of Goldwingers (15) to ride Europe. Grossglockner was the best ride ever..... It was Breath Taking......
- Log #2695 - by Volker Rubin on Nov 21, 1999After a short night at the Erzherzog Johann hut we already started at 4.30 a.m. to climb the summit. We had a good tour but the view down to the country was not very good. But still we had a lot of...
- Log #2697 - by J. Neuteboom on Sep 03, 1999Next time if we reach the top we want to see the rest of the world and not only fog.... Greetz to Ronald Naar. Next summit Matterhorn via Zermatt.
- Log #2698 - by Luidegr Roeckrath on Aug 31, 1999We planned to climb the Studl ridge (III), but because of unstable weather we went for the normal route with a small variation (direct accent from the lower part of Koednitzkess via the upper,...
- Log #2699 - by Chmielewski Jacek on Aug 17, 1999We (me and son Pawel -16 years) started from Lucknerhaus at 5.30, reached Erzherzog-Johann hut at 10.50 in the sun. We reached summit about 14.
- Log #2700 - by Hans Provin on July 24, 1999We started at 6 a.m. from "Lucknerhaus" arrived 10 a.m. "Stüdlhütte" and left 10 30 a.m. "Stüdelhütte" over Stüdelgat to top.
- Log #2702 - by Vasja Kavcic on May 13, 1999Stuedlgrat (southern ridge) up, normal route (to Kals) down. One of the most enjoyable solo climbs in my life.
- Log #2704 - by arnaud temme on Jan 28, 1999We were the first to leave Adlersruhe, (had a long day before us) and summited at sunrise. Far below in the valleys we could see our own shadows, enlarged to football-field-size, surrounded by...
- Log #2705 - by Christian Artmann on Nov 07, 1998Ein herrliches Erlebnis!!!