The highest mountain in the Big Horn Range. If you could look east from this point forever the next highest point would be the Swiss Alps in Europe. Spectacular views, last 4 miles quite difficult with lots of boulders to climb over. Water plentiful, weather unpredictable. Hundreds of lakes in the area to fish on.
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug|
|Nearest major airport:||Sheridan, Wyoming|
|Convenient Center:||Worland, Wyoming|
Thanks to John M. Bernhisel for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 15 trip reports for Cloud Peak.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #19536 - by Eric A. Eneboe on Sep 27, 2006A group of four of us set off for the summit of Cloud Peak in March of 97 or 98 (There was a comet about that year). The other three in my group were on cross country skis and I opted for alpine...
- Log #14075 - by Mike Oletzke on June 30, 2004I went with a youth group backpacking to Cloud Peak Wilderness Area in 1971 and again in 1972. In 1971 we were on the east side of Cloud Peak. We actually set out to see if we could climb it but...
- Log #14076 - by Jay Harrison on Mar 06, 2004Travelled xcountry w/my wife 83-84 and saw this mountain from a long way off; had to come back after reading about its 1000' East Face. Climbing Partner and I returned 85 or 86, backpacked to Misty...
- Log #14077 - by Fred Maguire on Feb 12, 2004Should consider climbing via the West Face Couloirs. I would advise going in late June or early July to avoid lots of rotten rock and rockfall. Take ice axe and rope. Kick steps up the couloir system.
- Log #14078 - by Kevin Scott Mathias on Jan 14, 2004Weather was excellent, mosquitoes were terrible. Should have gotten acclimated to altitude a little before the 3 day ordeal. Will never do again! At least until next year!
- Log #14079 - by
Brittany Cooper on Nov 09, 2003Fun and easy climb, fairly physicaly stressful but the view is well worth it. We started early and got off the mountian before any storms accumulated.
- Log #14080 - by michael and sol heifets on Aug 24, 200310 hour roundtrip from base camp at paint rock creek. Long time due to lack of acclimatization and we were also caught in brief thunder/hailstorm at 10-30 - 11 am at 12000 ft. (so much for...
- Log #14081 - by Chad LeDuc on Apr 10, 2003It was I think between the 2nd and 3rd year of law school. Don Negaard, Cliff Ronholt and I set off from Minot, ND, to try hang gliding, climb Cloud Peak and see the Bomber and possibly climb that as...
- Log #14082 - by Chris Clark on Sep 30, 2002Three jokers Bryan, Jason and myself tackled Cloud Peak in three days. One day hike to North Side of Misty Moon. Summited the second day in about 4 hrs. Kudos to anyone that can stare over the East...
- Log #14083 - by shawn kayser on Sep 11, 2002It was well worth the ass kicking I received climbing to the top. I met alot of nice people along the way and up on top. The wind was a bit brisk out of the nw!
- Log #14084 - by Paul Eshleman on Nov 15, 2001We had tried to climb it the year before but woke up at lake helen with a foot of snow so we had to get out.We tried it again the next year and the weather was better. We took off from our camp at...
- Log #14085 - by David Grissom on June 09, 2001I named my company after this beautiful ominous peak.
- Log #14086 - by Brice Neugebauer on Dec 26, 2000X-country skiied the first couple of miles from W. Tensleep lake until the trail became too steep. From there I slogged the remaining distance to Misty Moon lake, and set up camp. Long summit day -...
- Log #14087 - by Stephen Boyer on Aug 25, 2000Camped overnight at Misty Moon. Long hike to top scrambling last 1-2 miles over huge boulders. Poorly marked trail at end. Stay high on the ridge and saddle.
- Log #14089 - by John M. Bernhisel on May 15, 2000My brother Steve and I decided to make a one-day, light weight trip up cloub peak. We are both ultra-marathon runners and decided to run to the top. The total distance from West Ten Sleep lake is...