A great peak to scramble or walk up in North Wales. Glyder Fach is part of a brilliant accessible mountain ridge walk. PS
Overlooking the spectacular Ogwen Valley, Glyder Fach is usually climbed along with Glyder Fawr as part of the traverse of the Glyderau Ridge or as a finish to the rough scramble up Bristly Ridge which ends not far from the summit.
The easiest way up is from the vicinity of Llyn caseg-fraith, itself reached from Pen y Gwryd to the South or from the Ogwen Valley via either Cwm Tryfan or Llyn Idwal and Bwlch Tryfan - a fine route. The summit is a maze of boulders and features the much photographed Cantilever - a huge slab of rock balanced on boulders. PB
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Manchester, Liverpool|
|Convenient Center:||Llanberis, Capel Curig|
Thanks to Paul Sivyer for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 13 trip reports for Glyder Fach.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #14219 - by Oliver Ansell on Aug 29, 2004Ascended via Main Gulley. great day out, hard Scrambling in some places. Rocky summit
- Log #14220 - by steve price on Nov 20, 2003you know how it is when one member of a group really slows you down, we took so long to climb this that we missed the evening meal at the education centre in llanrug. we climbed up from cwm idwel,...
- Log #14221 - by Morag Austin on Sep 29, 2003Excellent scrambling up on to Tryfan and on Bristly Ridge - lots of hand holds. In cloud on Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr. Rather impressive rock formations. A long descent from Devil's kitchen to car...
- Log #14222 - by Eddie Hulme on Sep 29, 2003Being a hillwalker and not a scrambler/climber it was an interesting and adrenaline filled day. Ascended Main Gully above Alphabet Slabs - route 29 of Ashtons Scrambles in Snowdonia - Wet Ground and...
- Log #14223 - by Stephen Roberts on Aug 22, 2003we did a horse shoe walk ove tryfan then up bristly ridge on to the fawr and down the devils kitchen, loverly weather great day out would recommend that walk to every one. as good if not better than...
- Log #14224 - by Sue & Philip Powell on Aug 04, 2003Ascended via Bristly Ridge & after the obligatory photo on the Cantilever Stone continued on to Glyder Fawr. A beautiful day with stunning views across Wales. Great day out.
- Log #14225 - by Simon Gozzard on Sep 01, 2001Beautiful day - stunning walk. Carried on to Glyder Fawr.
- Log #14226 - by thom on Mar 04, 2001great, but cold and windy day. came from y garn over the glyders to tryfan.
- Log #14227 - by Max Wiecko on Oct 17, 2000If the weather permits the best way to the top of this mountain is via 'Bristly Ridge',but all ways up are very interesting.To stand on the cantiliver rock is a must.Great views of Tryfan and Snowdon...
- Log #14228 - by Robert Wilkinson on Aug 08, 2000From Ogwen via Llyn Bochlwyd to Bwlch Tryfan. Intended to ascend Bristly Ridge but decided against as it was damp and slippery and the mist was closing in - not ideal conditions for a Bristly Ridge...
- Log #14229 - by Iwan Deiniol Roberts on July 22, 2000Best day of the year for the weather - blue skies and clear views. 4 in the party - myself(11 years old, my father, an Englishman and an Indian Doctor)
- Log #14230 - by Chris Sellars on June 09, 2000tryfan central buttress, bristly ridge then accross to y garn
- Log #14231 - by Paul Sivyer on May 31, 2000This peak with it's Cantilever Stone is a great summit to visit. There's always a choice of assents from really easy to Bristley Ridge and the views from all directions are great. It aslo makes up a...