|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||2000|
|First successful climber(s):||Florin Chirculescu|
|Nearest major airport:||Bucharest|
Thanks to Florin Chirculescu for adding this peak.
The peak is located in the northern part of the Bucegi Massif. Thre are four major routes to get at it: 1) from Babele Hut (the easiest) 2) from Busteni, on Valea Cerbului (moderate difficulties - a 4 hours route) 3) from Busteni via Bucsoiu mountain (rather difficult, with rocks, passages on cables) to be avoided in wintertime due to the risk of avalanches; needs ice axe and crampons in witertime) 4) from Bran, through the Tiganesti mountain (has two variants - to be avoided in wintertime due to the risk of avalanches; crampons and ice axe required) There are 53 places at the Omu hut to accomodate. The hut is almost "stuck" to a nearby rock that has the shape of the face of a man - the name of the peak derives from this particularity, "omu" meaning in Romanian. "the man"
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Omu in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Omu.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21967 - by Walkeron45 on Mar 29, 2010Started in Sibeu and ascended onto Pestera. Over night and onto Omu where we stayed over night in the hut. The toilets were a hole in the ground and smelled of hell ass. Wild dogs met you on route to...
- Log #19329 - by Jess Burgess on Sep 27, 2006We had an amazing time in Romania and the stay at the top of Omu was well worth the climb. The view in the morning was amazing and the calmness of the whole place was so peaceful. The hut, although...
- Log #14705 - by octavian on Sep 20, 2004The Omu peak is the highest peak from the Bucegi Mountains. If you plan on spending the night at the Omu chalet and the sky is not clouded, be sure to wake up just before the sunrise. Get out of the...
- Log #14706 - by Gregory Edward Feie on Apr 04, 2003It is not the summit itself that drives one on, it's the thought of not attaining it that spurns one's initiative...
- Log #14707 - by Bart on May 12, 2002Nice weather, still some snow Nice stay at the meteo-station ! Great day !
- Log #14708 - by Denes Alexandru on Apr 30, 2002Nice peak, I reached it from Bucsoiu and after 5 hours of climbing I've enjoyed a hot tea in the hut.The weather was clear, you could see the town of Busteni, but soon it got cold, foggy, and...
- Log #14709 - by Grzechu Grupinski on Nov 08, 2000The route from Babele hut is boring - the ridge is completely flat. Although it was August, the weather was horrible, hail, snow, wind... Because of fog I couldn't see the TV tower which is near the...