Signalkuppe is the fourth highest peak of the Monte Rosa massif, and fifth highest in the Alps. Cap. Margherita is located on this peak.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1842|
|First successful climber(s):||Giovanni Gnifetti and seven Guides|
|Convenient Center:||Alagna, Zermatt|
Thanks to Bernd Nebendahl for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 16 trip reports for Signalkuppe.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21990 - by roger gaff on June 29, 2010This was our first top of the day having come up from the Gniffetti refugio. Another very high snow peak with the windswept Marghenita refuge at the highest point. Huge drop from the summit looking...
- Log #21781 - by Christine Theodorovics on Sep 28, 2009Great weather. Crowded hut. Good food.
- Log #21170 - by Frank Reddick on Feb 04, 2008Pretty straightforward...more of a hike than climb, but beautiful. The hut on top is amazing. The Alps have quite the hut system!
- Log #20912 - by Christine Theodorovics on July 31, 2007Bad weather - no view. Came from Monte Rosa Hut.
- Log #14716 - by Giuseppe Serafini on Sep 04, 2004Giornata splendida, partenza dal Rifugio Mantova (Mt.3495) arrivo alla Capanna Margherita (Mt.4554)in 3 ore.
- Log #14717 - by Ivonne Põld on Aug 16, 2004When i summited this peak i was 13 years old. This trip was organized by my father. We started at the col Lys (there we slept in the tents), then we reached the top and after that we stayed near the...
- Log #14718 - by Pieter Hallewas on July 21, 2004Only spend the night in Cappana Margerita if you have acclimatized ;-) Beautiful ascent from the Gniffeti Hutte. Long way down to Zermatt but magnificent powder skiing.
- Log #14719 - by Susanne Williams on July 18, 2004Best dinner in the Monte Rosa.
- Log #14721 - by Chandra-Luciano Malorni on Aug 05, 2002Fern einer banalen Welt wurde ein grosser Traum riesenhafte Wirklichkeit. Erschöpft aber überglücklich erreichten wir bei starkem Wind den Gipfel der Punta Gnifetti(Signalkuppe). Danken...
- Log #14722 - by Mike Rooke on July 29, 2002The Refuge is visible for hours before you finally achieve it. The last little climb requires care when you are very tired. It is worth it. What a place to spend the night.
- Log #14723 - by Caj E Svensson on Jan 30, 2002A nice hike with Eva and Hasse and our guide, Paolo from Alagna. Slept over in Gnifetti Hutte and went up early in the morning. Down again the same day. Paolo left us when we headed to Punta Indren...
- Log #14724 - by Jan Micovsky on Nov 18, 2001Please, I would like to get any information on accommodation in the area of Alagna Valsesia (prices, equipment, food). I am interested in a cheaper tourist accommodation. I would also like the best...
- Log #14725 - by Dominique Stender on Aug 21, 2001Very easy ascend from the Rifugio Gnifetti. The glaciers eastern side is almost free of gaps. Started at ~5:30 and arrived at about 11:30 on Rifugio Magheritta on top. After summiting we descended...
- Log #14726 - by Wim Roelants on Aug 05, 2001Started from Monte Rosa hut at 0245 h. Grenzgletscher in excellent condition. Very long and tiring but outstandingly beautiful. Very high summit with an hut on top of it.
- Log #14727 - by Stan Sattelberg on Jan 26, 2000Started from Monte Rosa Hutte at 01:30 and hiked up the glacier to the Italian hut on the Grenz. Then began a traverse over four summits (skipped Nordend)beginning with Signalkuppe. It became...
- Log #14728 - by Bernd Nebendahl on Nov 15, 1999Easy ascent, failed to climb Dufourspitze twice due to bad wheather