Cho Oyu is the sixth highest mountain in the world, located a short distance to the west from Everest (the highest) and Lhotse (the fourth highest) in the Khumbu region of Eastern Nepal along the Tibetan border. Its towering peak stands with Everest well above the surrounding mountains. It became a familiar landmark to climbers ascending Everest's north face. Just west of Cho Oyu is the Nangpa La, a 19,000-foot glacier pass, the main trade route between the Khumbu Sherpas and Tibet. Cho Oyu's proximity to the Nangpa La has earned it the distinction among some climbers as being the easiest 8,000 meter peak. It was the third such peak climbed, and the first climbed in Autumn.
|Range/Region:||Central Nepal Himalaya|
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Year first climbed:||1954|
|First successful climber(s):||Herbert Tichy, Joseph Joechler, Sherpa Pasang Dawa Lama, (Austrian expedition)|
|Nearest major airport:||Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Convenient Center:||Namche Bazar, Nepal|
There are 8 trip reports for Cho Oyu.
- Log #21847 - by David Viens on Jan 06, 2010Didn't make summit. But was a great experience. Got close...but still on list of ones that got away.
- Log #21468 - by Vik Sahney on Oct 11, 2008Summited on October 3rd, 2008 using supplemental oxygen. Climbed as part of the SummitClimb.com team. This year there were few teams as many could not get permits (or were concerned about permits)...
- Log #18952 - by Jan van der Meer on Sep 23, 2005Summited on 22 September 2005, 12:10 pm. Too tired to stand up and nothing to see. We spend three minutes on the summit. I was there with Russell Brice, Lobsang Sherpa and three members of The North...
- Log #20481 - by berry van welzen on Nov 09, 2006Reached the summit on october 1, 2006 at 10:00 am in the morning in perfect weatherconditions.
- Log #20659 - by OSU Jesters on Feb 10, 2007All of us Jesters made it to the top by 2 PM. We didn't stay long as conditions deteriorated. With not a lot of equipment it was hard beating our past times, perhaps the key is to take it slow....
- Log #22150 - by cleo weidlich on Mar 23, 2011No O2 climb. Summit push from Camp2. Arrived Base-camp on September 12th and summitted on Sept 24 @ 6:30am.
- Log #22319 - by mvth2000 on June 17, 2012look for weblog with text & photo's: www.summitclimb.com - News - Cho Oyu April 2012
- Log #22441 - by Sven Sjöberg on Oct 31, 2013Perfect weather, only four climbers on the summit this day. I, a guy from Switzerland and two guides/sherpas from Nepal