Mount Speke is the second highest mountain in the Ruwenzori range. Together with Mount Stanley and Mount Baker, it forms a triangle enclosing the upper Bujuku Valley. There are huts and good trails from both the Zaire and Uganda side. From Mutsori, Zaire, local tribesman are available as guides or porters.
Like all of the Ruwenzori massifs, Speke's summit consists of multiple jagged peaks: Vittorio Emanuele 16,042 ft. 4,890 m. Ensonga 15,961 ft. 4,865 m. Johnston 15,860 ft. 4,834 m. Trident 15,000 ft. 4,572 m.
|Country:||Congo, Democratic Republic of the|
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Jun, Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||1906|
|First successful climber(s):||Duke of the Abruzzi, J. Petigax, C. Ollier|
|Nearest major airport:||Kampala, Uganda, Kigali, Rwanda, Bujumbura, Burundi, Nairobi, Kenya|
|Convenient Center:||Mutsori, Zaire, Bugoye, Uganda|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Mount Speke.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22374 - by Jorn E. on Mar 06, 2013Grade 4 YDS climb where rope, crampons and ice axe have to be carried. We had strong wind and icy conditions making the climb considerable more difficult then it would be under dry conditions. Some...
- Log #21145 - by kyle on Jan 06, 2008scrambled up. Some minor glacier travel,an ice axe would be handy. Got on the summit early afternoon, clouds lifted and gave us a spectacular view.
- Log #14970 - by Corrado Casinovi on Jan 08, 2003Climbed Point Vittorio Emanuele from Bujuku hut
- Log #14971 - by scott anderson on July 10, 2002The first of four peaks on my itinerary. Fairly straightforward climb; the fact that we started the morning at Bigo Hut rather than Bujuku, after having spent the previous day hacking our way up the...
- Log #14972 - by Michael J. Young on Dec 22, 2000The Rwenzori Mountaineering Service guides and the Uganda Wildlife Authority official records inform us that we were the first to summit Mt Speke in about 4 years, due to closure of the park from May...
- Log #14973 - by Peter F Green on Sep 19, 1999From Uganda Mountain Club hut at Bujoko Lake. With George F. Reid. Both of us surveyors with Directorate of Overseas Surveys engaged in Triangulation of the foothills. By Stuhlman Pass, Speke...
- Log #14974 - by Paul Cameron on May 22, 1999As the grafitti on the wall of the tumbledown tin shed that was the Speke Hut - "With cold feet ('cos my boots had a leak), I reached the peak Of Mount Speke !" Pretty easy climb,...