|Best months for climbing:||Mar, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Lawton Municipal Airport|
|Convenient Center:||Medicine Park, OK|
Thanks to Laban West for adding this peak.
Mount Scott rises high above the Oklahoma plains. You may drive to the top where there is a parking lot and hiking trails. Great view from the top. Named in 1852 for General Winfield Scott, Commander of the American forces during the War with Mexico. Many legends regarding the burial of Spanish gold around the mountain.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Mount Scott.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20373 - by J.Whatcott on Sep 17, 2006I took the kids to the top of MT. Scott. It's any easy 10 min. drive to the top, where there's loads of fun for the kids in climbing the rocks and wandering the trails. A good afternon outing.
- Log #15138 - by Alba Rivera Abraham on Oct 13, 2004When my father was stationed in Fort Sill we used to visit Mt. Scott often. Would love to visit the area again . Brings back fine memories to look at pictures of the town and vicinity.
- Log #15139 - by Larry Holcomb on July 02, 2004At the age of 16, Wayne Pamplin of Lawton, climbed to the summit of Mt. Scott. At age 17 Wayne became blind and now at age 50, he will attempt to climb Mt. Scott once again. In conjunction with a...
- Log #15140 - by Trent Wickwire on Dec 30, 2003Actually, this was a descent with family members ages 4 to 65 (4,6,7,8,12,16,40,42,44,44,65). We came down a ravine of boulders on the South side (to take advantage of the sun's warmth), which...
- Log #15141 - by
Alex on Sep 30, 2003This climb took me jusy over 1 hour, but some of it was spent dodging stinging insects. I suggest that you climb at a time of day when there are not many stinging insects out or climb during winter....
- Log #15142 - by Brett on Aug 29, 2003It takes an hour to hour and a half to climb up if you don't drive up it. No equipment, just step on big boulders. Anyone who has seen the Rockies would laugh at this foothill of a moutnain range,...
- Log #15143 - by donna thornton on Apr 21, 2003I just wanted to say that the last time I was at Mt.Scott I was probably 10 years old. I was there at the time with my dad. Later on I married a guy who worked on the guard railing at Mt.
- Log #15144 - by Neal Poindexter on Apr 20, 2003A great place to visit. There is a camp nearby but it only has elect. hook-up. It would be outstanding if there were some full hook-ups. Don't miss the visitors center.
- Log #15145 - by Neal Poindexter on Apr 20, 2003Question: Me, my wife and another couple are planning a trip to the Mt. Scott area in a couple of weeks, is there a place close by to tent camp? Can we bring a dog? Can we build a fire on the ground?...