Dent du Géant is a very impressive and famous tower with an exciting 360 degree overwiew on Mont Blanc massive. Due to the presence of fixed rope, during summer time, the peak it's a little bit crowded. Some interesting climbing route on West and South face.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1882|
|First successful climber(s):||A. Payot, A. Cupelin, W.W. Graham|
|Nearest major airport:||Milan MXP|
|Convenient Center:||Courmayeur - Italy|
Thanks to Gianni Perelli Ercolini for adding this peak.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Dent Du Geant in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Dent Du Geant.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #15217 - by Cor Verhoeckx on Mar 10, 2004Nice weather, start early. Then it is not to crowded.
- Log #15218 - by RJG de Vries on Apr 17, 2002Did some very nice climbing in warm sunny weather. A pitty there were so many other climbers.
- Log #15220 - by Steve Spike Wong on Sep 07, 2001I climbed with a slightly crazy Japanese guy. We had awakened quite early for another climb, found the weather atrocious, sneaked into the hut's kitchen and downed a bottle of wine at 3 a.m. We awoke...
- Log #15221 - by Valdek Udris on Sep 01, 2001I climb the normal- SW route. If You get the good wether, there are too much climbers. But anyway, without fixed ropes it's a good climb.
- Log #15222 - by
peter baines on Aug 30, 2001Used this peak as preparation for ascent of the Matterhorn. It is a classic rock climb. We set of (as a pair) from the Torino Hut at 0700. Torino hut is average.
- Log #15223 - by Hallbjörn Staurset on May 31, 2001beautiful climb on the west wall i can recommended
- Log #15224 - by Jason Black on Mar 05, 2001I climbed the rock at the top on my own using a prusic knot on the fixed ropes for safety. I did, however, carry a 50m rope with me for the descent. The top pitch which involves crossing from one...
- Log #15225 - by Odd Staurset on Nov 17, 2000Easy to underestimate the time needed on the fixed ropes. The guide says 1 hour. That's fast.
- Log #15226 - by Gianni Perelli Ercolini on Sep 11, 2000To be on the top of Dent du Géant it's like to be on a balloon over the Mont Blanc massive. The normal route, with fixed ropes, was pretty crowded. We reached the top via "Geant branché" route...