Llullaillaco is the sixth highest mountain in South America. It is the high peak in a large area of high volcanic land rising in the widest stretch of the Altacama desert. Its aridity and remoteness make it a difficult mountain to approach, but the ascent of its gently sloping cone is otherwise straightforward. A winter ascent is recommended because snow may be the only source of water. Like many of the mountains in the area, its summit holds the ruins of several Incan shelters.
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Antofagasta, Chile, (via Santiago)|
|Convenient Center:||Socompa (border post)|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 11 trip reports for Llullaillaco.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20716 - by Martin Friedrich on Mar 29, 2007It is one of these summits where one can feel (in addition to knowing it) that it stands out more than many others into the atmosphere (the incredibly deep blue of the sky, no mountain with...
- Log #15380 - by Jörg Laimer on Sep 16, 2004We climbed the volcano in february 2004. Three of us reached the top. The route ist easy to find, there are no technical problems...but the way up to the top (there is not a real top, it is a...
- Log #15376 - by Bob Villarreal on Sep 15, 2004I have been to Llullai six times. Let me know your questions about routes and access.
- Log #15389 - by Bob Villarreal on Sep 04, 2004I have been to this peak six times, summited the main summit once and a sub peak once. If you want more info on an approach from Chile, please contact me.
- Log #15388 - by Bob Villarreal on Sep 03, 2004I have been to this peak seven times. If you wish information, please send me a note. Bob Villarreal
- Log #15381 - by Massimo Ordiano on Feb 08, 2004Siamo saliti dalla via degli Inca dal versante Argentino effettuando una variante di salita negli ultimi 300 metri di salita salendo sul ghiacciaio, eravamo in due io e Fabrizio Ghilardi milano...
- Log #15382 - by Fernando on Oct 20, 2003Hi friends, I'm planning to climb Llullaillaco from the Chilean side in December this year. Somebody interested in sharing this great experience? If yes please contact me: ...
- Log #15383 - by E. Arbar on Feb 22, 2003My friend Adrian and I climbed the peak many years ago, but have kept quiet about what we saw and found. Adrian is a young Mapuchi Indian who was able to cover alot of area. Altitude sickness cut my...
- Log #15384 - by Klaus Krah on Sep 19, 2002It was a great adventure with -30 C.
- Log #15386 - by Vanessa on Jan 31, 2002Hi I am doing a school project in science and i was wondering if you could send me some info on the volcanoe Llullaillaco.Hope to hear from you! Thank You Vanessa
- Log #15387 - by Chrissy Kennedy on Nov 15, 2001you should - Say when the last eruption was, and the first -What are the impacts on -Humans -Plants animals