The Qornet as Sawda ("Black Horn" in arabic) is the highest peak of Mount Lebanon and of all the eastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea. It is located in the northern part of mount Lebanon,and at its west side it thrones over a huge cirque where the last millenial Lebanon cedars stand.The waters of this bulky mountain run into the Holy valley (Qadisha).Its east side dominates abruptly the beqaa plateau.Its top can be accessed easily, but some ways can be tough, especially during the winter:avalanches and snow storms are frequent. The summit isn't sheer, but it offers a huge panomaric view in all directions, and even Cyprus can be seen when weather conditions are especially good. This massif offers beautiful ski slopes, as snow falls are very heavy during the winter, down to 1500m.
|Best months for climbing:||Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov|
|Nearest major airport:||Beyrouth|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Qornet As Sawda.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22487 - by unmo300 on Sep 08, 2014A long walk.
- Log #21715 - by Patrice on July 07, 2009By car from The Cedars and turning left on the road towards Baalbeck few kilometers before the summit. then follow this secondary road to the top and on the left side take the path. go always strait....
- Log #21247 - by Rita Stephan on Apr 12, 2008During April it was a tough hike due to the cold weather conditions, the best time is in august and september.
- Log #20727 - by AVEDIS KALPAKLIAN on Apr 04, 2007It was a 2 days trekk, comming from qobayat in the extrem north of Lebanon, b4 reaching the summit on thursday 15 september 2005 at noon. Altough Qornet el Sawda is only 3088m but it is the highest...
- Log #15970 - by hassan kasbar on Dec 27, 2002the most fantastic view can be saw from above this peak,u can see all the middle east,the most strange feeling i ever had in my life,absolutely great ;)