|Range/Region:||Central and Southern California Ranges|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||San Bernandinao, LA|
Thanks to Gergo Szabo for adding this peak.
Highest peak of the San Gabriel range, the portion of the Coastal range that provides scenic background to LA in a smogless day. There are 3 trails up, the shortest one (4.5m) is form the south. It starts from a parking lot at elevation of 2000m (6660ft). It is strenous (but non-technical) and it leads up above the timberline at around 2700m. From there you go mostly on scree. The peak is snowless in autumn and in summer.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Mount Baldy in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 20 trip reports for Mount Baldy.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21510 - by an anonymous user on Nov 13, 2008My son (Mark; 25) and I (Don; 56) set out on this hike as the beginning of an exciting new series of adventures. Mark's ambitious goal is to climb all the Fourteeners in the contiguous 48 and I would...
- Log #21166 - by Greg Morton on Jan 31, 2008Climbed the Ski Hut Trail out of Manker Flats. TONS of snow on the ground. Got to the Ski Hut in two hours, then had to use snowshoes from there. Summit was incredible.
- Log #21162 - by Marcella Brunelle on Jan 25, 2008It was exilerating at first. The climb was beautiful at the most part. It definitely grew to a slowing pattern because of my weight and health. What a beautiful sight if you can catch a day without...
- Log #16263 - by
Gergo Szabo on Aug 19, 2004Don't leave valuables in the car while hiking, because the lot is too close to LA.
- Log #16262 - by
Gergo Szabo on Aug 18, 2004On a clear day the view is magnificent from the top.
- Log #16246 - by Steven W Martin on July 31, 2003We hiked this peak twice in the space of a week to help condition ourselves for Mt Shasta the following weekend. Both hikes started on the San Antonio Falls road. The first hike (departed 7.30am) we...
- Log #16247 - by
Schane Simpson on July 22, 20036 friends and myself peaked Baldy by climbing via the Mt. Baldy ski lift trail at the end of Mt. Baldy road. After reaching the peak we desended via West Baldy and San Antonio Ridge.
- Log #16248 - by Nicolas Falacci on June 28, 2003Bear Flat - Mt. Baldy Trail. My first time up. Figured I go the hard way.
- Log #16249 - by Maritza Borunda on May 27, 2003Great weather and nice ascent! A bit of snow on the final leg of the trip. One comment: the mountain biking is eroding the ridge trail.
- Log #16250 - by Frank Pineda on Apr 20, 2003BEAR FLATS TRAIL Start time was 9 AM Summitted at 3:30 PM. Back to my car at 7:30 PM Got to the snow line at about 8,000 ft level with about 6" of snow. Some sections were icy and needed the use of...
- Log #16252 - by Art McKiernan on Dec 30, 2002Left work early on Friday and climbed to the summit via the ski hut. Decent snow coverage. Bivied on the summit on a clear night with great views of LA and the upper desert. Winds picked up in the...
- Log #16253 - by Lon Keeney on July 07, 2002The three most popular routes to the summit of Mt. Baldy are; (1) "The Devils Backbone" trail (2) The "Baldy Bowl Trail" past the Sierra Club cabin and (3) The "Mt. Baldy...
- Log #16254 - by matt montano on May 21, 2002I am 12 years and I climbed mt.baldy.I thought it was a great hike.I went up with my boy scout troop.I was 4th out of 11 to the top.
- Log #16255 - by Kevin Donaldson on Feb 04, 2002After cold temps and snow falling during the previous week - thought this would be a great time for some winter climbing and views from Mt Baldy. I started from Baldy Notch about 10 AM. With breaks...
- Log #16256 - by Adriano Petrachi on Feb 02, 2002Nice hike in Southern California. Angeles National Forest.
- Log #16257 - by
Ryan Gilmore on Nov 27, 2001It is all about the Devils Backbone in the months of November through April. Cold, Windy, Icy, alot of fun.
- Log #16258 - by Jason Richling on July 09, 2001Baldy is the closest 10-er to me, and thus serves as my convenient getaway for everything from training for bigger climbs to just getting out of the city for an afternoon. Great mountain for all...
- Log #16259 - by Anthony on June 20, 2001Three of us hiked the Sierra Club Ski Hut trail from Manker Flats to the top and down the Devil's Backbone to the Mt. Baldy Ski Lodge then down the 3.5 miles to the trailhead parking lot again. Total...
- Log #16260 - by Jason Richling on June 05, 2001As the "local 10-er", Baldy has served as my training ground for 10 years or so. In winter, it boasts enough snow and steep-ish lines to warrant breaking out the ice ax and crampons and...
- Log #16261 - by Art McKiernan on Apr 22, 2001Devils Backbone - Left work early on 3/30/01 and took the lift to the bottom of chair #4. Snowshoes were used a good portion of the trek. At the saddle I set camp as it was dark and windy. The next...