Extinct volcano, second highest peak in Argentina, located close to Mount Pissis, at the northern terminus of the Sierra de la Punilla, where it meets the Andes, located close to the Chilean border (though not on it) and the border with the province of Catamarca. It has a caldera is about 6 km in diameter, eroded into small flat topped 'mesetas'. Very interesting is the 2 km long lake which is placed in the southern end of the caldera, whith deep clear water. Some hydrothermal action may be responsible for weak warm springs feeding the lake.
The volcano drains towards the south, feeding an intermitent stream which joins the De la Punilla river and forms the Bonete River.
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||La Rioja|
Thanks to Austin Whittall for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Cerro Bonete.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20621 - by bruno baschung on Jan 24, 2007Propbably the Andes and America's number 4. In my opinion, view from the top is really fantatstic, more impressive than from Pissis on the caldera del Inca. Altitude is wro,g, with GPS we had 6764m,...
- Log #20622 - by brunop baschung on Jan 24, 2007more iunformation and GPS way points on summitpost.org Bruno baschung
- Log #16340 - by baschung on Dec 21, 2003My project to climb cerro bonete chico (+ pissis) si delayed and scheduled for november 2004, I'm still in search of information about this peak, especially access (4x4 + climbing route, water,...
- Log #16339 - by Bob Villarreal on Dec 20, 2003Bonete is a very remote peak just to the south of Pissis. It may be approached either from Chile or Argentina. Its difficulties center upon its remoteness and difficulty of access. Other problems...
- Log #16343 - by Bob Villarreal on Feb 25, 2003If you would like information on Bonete, drop me a line. Bob Villarreal
- Log #16341 - by baschung bruno on Feb 18, 2003I plan to climb Pissis and Cerro Bonete on the same trip end of 2003 (november) and I am in search of information about this mountain, best routes, how to get there, access, time, difficulties,...
- Log #16342 - by Damian Benegas on May 08, 2002I think that we summit on March 10 by a new route on the South side of the mountain! This peak is very easy accessable by 4X4. We got to 19000'. Also summit Vallenaju that is almost 6200m. on a...