|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Dec|
|Year first climbed:||1929|
|First successful climber(s):||P. Austin, R. Moore, T. Moore y L. Thorne|
|Nearest major airport:||Quito|
|Convenient Center:||Rio Bama|
Thanks to Fernando Begega Alonso for adding this peak.
Sangay is a continuous activity volcano. Regular explosions, strombolian type. The approximation to the base camp take three days. There are three possibilities, from Alao (Rio Bamba), from Guargualla Chico (Rio Bamba), from Caserio de Zumac (Macas). Two first ways are the shortest and you can take from two to three days to reach the base camp. You have to cross a lot of rivers (21 from Guargualla). It's necessary water proof boots and clothes. Out of the best season usually it rain. You need a guide because the remote and the intricate of the place.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Sangay.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20457 - by Russ Meehan on Oct 27, 2006We, my son and a friend without guides drove from Aloa down the dirt track to the trail head, parking our vehicle in a cow pasture by the road. It's a hard climb through a muddy cloud forest to get...
- Log #19194 - by Roland Pitteroff on Sep 27, 2006We, a party of two with no guide, climbed El Sangay on 3 February 2006. We started the trek at Alao. It took three days to reach the base camp at La Playa. The hut at La Playa is in good condition...
- Log #19064 - by Gijs van Haaren on Feb 14, 2006It took us (me, three Ecuadorian friends and our two guides)two days from Aloa to Las Playas (basecamp) in 'dry' conditions. It's a hard second day from Culebrillas to las Playas with a very steep...
- Log #16394 - by Jon Zigmond on Dec 10, 2001PLEASE don't go to Sangay. When I was there it was erupting every 15-20 minutes. Climbing Sangay is like playing Russian roulette. It is a beautiful volcano to look at from afar but a horrible pile...
- Log #16395 - by Fernando Begega Alonso on Apr 28, 2001The aproximation from Guarguall· Chico. Two days walking in the rain to reach the base camp. Around the summit there are volcan explosion from 15 to 15 minutes. First spanish ascent.