Klyuchevskaya Sopka (Kliuchevskoi) is the highest mountain on the Kamchatka Peninsula, and is the highest volcano in Asia. Its steep, symmetrical cone towers just sixty miles from the Bering Sea. Klyuchevskaya's first recorded eruption was in 1697, and it has been almost continuously active ever since, as have many of its neighboring volcanoes. Klyuchevskaya last erupted in 1995. Following the first ascent in 1788, no other ascents were recorded until 1931, when several climbers were killed by flying lava as they descended. Similar dangers exist today, and few ascents are made.
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Sep, Oct|
|Most recent eruption:||2005, ongoing|
|Year first climbed:||1788|
|First successful climber(s):||Daniel Gauss and two other members of the Billings Expedition|
|Nearest major airport:||Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia|
|Convenient Center:||Kozyrevsk, Russia, Klyuchi, Russia|
There are 6 trip reports for Kliuchevskoi.
- Log #4195 - by
Dan Colborne on June 27, 2004A very cold trip. After a week long blizzard practically buried us on the Bogdanovich, at the first sign of clear weather we skied up to the pass and set up camp. That night was well below minus...
- Log #4196 - by Casey Masero on Mar 08, 2004I'm a man of few words. But this vocano gives me the shivers.
- Log #4197 - by Michael Stichling on Oct 22, 2002We tried an ascent with skis in June 2001 from kozyrevsk. Due to the fact that Bezymjannyj eruptet serveral times in winter the snow was covered with ashes and meltet very fast. For two days we...
- Log #4198 - by Ludy Bookelmann on Dec 17, 2000weather; one of the few good days in august 2000, very cold; very windy, temperature was more low than my watch could show. Started at 06.00 in the morning, from the pass at 2800 mtr. It was a...
- Log #20629 - by Casey Masero on Jan 24, 2007We set out early on the sixteenth. The morning's weather was the same as the night before, VERY COLD. I felt envigorated though, almost as if I was a cat, brushing the morning's frost from my...
- Log #22180 - by silurian on May 14, 2011IT was fab The picture is cool!