52 million year old volcano, is on the south end of Mexico City. Drive up to "El Refugio" and park, then there are several trails that lead up to the peak, once above the treeline it gets quite steep and rocky. There is a large copper cross at the peak. The view of the city is spectacular (if you are lucky and the clouds disipate).
It has no permanent snow. Hardly every winter gets a few inches of the white stuff. It's an easy walk to the summit, a bit harder via the lodge route, but a walk after all. It was climbed regularly by the Aztecs long before the Spaniards arrived in this part of the world. It can be climbed any day of the year, any day!
Additional text and data by Diego Echeagaray:
Ajusco has two main summits: La Cruz del Marques (3,960 metres) and Pico del Aguila (3,930 metres). Both are easily reached after 1.5 to 2 hours. The trails are clearly marked. No permanent snow fields or galciers. Some rock climbing can be performed on the northern side of the mountain.
|Nearest major airport:||Mexico City|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Ajusco.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21886 - by Christian Rodriguez on Feb 13, 2010I went to México to climb 5 volcanoes, was a really amazing trip with a Guatemalan friends. Ajusco was the first volcano we climbed that expedition, was a really nice experience to see this volcano...
- Log #21885 - by Christian Rodriguez on Feb 13, 2010I went to México to climb 5 volcanoes, was a really amazing trip with a Guatemalan friends. Ajusco was the first volcano we climbed that expedition, was a really nice experience to see this volcano...
- Log #16556 - by Oscar Rangel Correa on Aug 21, 2004Para una iniciación al montañismo, es una excelente experiencia, donde podemos poner a prueba nuestro verdadero gusto por la montaña. Varias ocasiones yo he estado ah', y se disfruta mucho del...
- Log #16557 - by Diego Echeagaray on Sep 02, 2002Ajusco is a nice peak. A quick paced hike to the summit,on the lodge route (1.5 hours), is a very good way to practice for higher summits, like Izta, Nevado de Toluca or Pico de Orizaba. So close to...
- Log #16559 - by Fernando Flores Velarde on Dec 02, 2001Que gachos, nadie habia firmado el libro de cumbre del Ajusco.! OK. Pues estuve ahi, junto con Rossy hicimos la traves?a del Pico del Aguila, Cruz del Marques y bajamos por el albergue. Recuerdo que...