|Range/Region:||Central Nepal Himalaya|
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Apr, May, Sep, Oct|
|Year first climbed:||1956|
|First successful climber(s):||Ernst Reiss, Fritz Luchsinger, (Swiss team)|
|Nearest major airport:||Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Convenient Center:||Namche Bazar, Nepal|
Lhotse is the fourth highest mountain in the world. Its long east-west crest is located immediately south of Mount Everest, and the summits of the two mountains are connected by the South Col, a vertical ridge that never drops below 8,000 meters. Lhotse is sometimes mistakenly identified as the south peak of the Everest massif. No serious attention was turned to climbing Lhotse until after Everest had finally been ascended. Lhotse was first climbed in 1956 as an alternative route to the summit of Everest. In addition to the main summit, there are two subsidiary peaks, Lhotse Shar, which is immediately east of the main summit, and Nuptse, a high peak on the mountain's west ridge.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Lhotse.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21393 - by Dr. Robert William Zerby on Aug 20, 2008LHOTSE 8516m / 27940ft. This was my first climb above 8000m without oxygen. I approached from the West in 20 - 30 cm of snow. I put a lot of work into the logistics and weather prediction for this...
- Log #4413 - by thomas p. gregory jr on Jan 16, 2004I am looking for the ancient names of the peaks in this region - aside from those names assigned them during early explorations. Can you assist in noting reference material?
- Log #4414 - by Gonzalo Velez on July 07, 2000I was unfortunate to leave C4 alone on 20 May 2000. The other 3 men that were meant to climb with me gave up due to health problems and logistic reasons (?!). Therefore I climbed alone, without...
- Log #4415 - by Mr. Josef Simunek on Feb 16, 2000It was a sixth expedittion organized to the central Himalaya by our Himalaya 8000 company led by me. I reached the top with same team as a year before. We v reached the top with my friend Lhakpa...
- Log #4416 - by an anonymous user on Dec 01, 1999LHOTSE- International Expedition 12 April-31 May, 2000 year The expeditoion is organized by Borislav Dimitrov, who has already holt 9 ezpeditions in Himalaya. The expedition is following the...