|Range/Region:||Central Nepal Himalaya|
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Apr, May|
|Year first climbed:||1955|
|First successful climber(s):||J. Franco's French Expedition|
|Nearest major airport:||Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Convenient Center:||Hille, Nepal via Dharan Bazar|
Makalu is the fifth highest mountain in the world. It is an isolated peak, located just 14 miles east of Mount Everest. Its size alone is impressive, but its structure, that of a perfect pyramid with four sharp ridges, makes this mountain all the more spectacular. It has proved to be a challenging climb, as only five of its first sixteen attempts were successful. Previously, it had been admired and studied by several Everest parties, but like so many other giants in the Khumbu region, it was not attempted until the summit of Everest had been attained in 1954. Chomo Lonzo is a subsidiary peak of Makalu, rising just north of the higher summit, separated by a narrow saddle.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 6 trip reports for Makalu.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21709 - by Roland Hunter on July 06, 2009For details of our climb take a look at my blog at http://themountaincompany.blogspot.com/2009/06/our-summit-day-on-makalu.html Cheers Roland Hunter
- Log #5170 - by Farooq Mughal on Jan 19, 2004Hii Guys I went with an expedition to Mina Pin Via Naltar Valley Pakistan to the advance level base camp of Rakaposhi Peak. Our Stone which we signed is still present at the Diran Guest House...
- Log #5171 - by Gonzalo Velez on Dec 30, 2002I was part of the 12 members international expedition led by Piotr Pustelnik in spring 2002. Piotr, Martin Gablik and me from our team summited on May 16 together with 2 Swiss, 1 Italian and 3...
- Log #5172 - by Gerard-Marie VUILLEMIN on Nov 01, 2001MAKALU II French expedition - Fall 2001 - Success The independent expedition was led by French guides Ludovic Challeat and Jean Annequin. High altitude sherpas : Pemba sherpa, Lakhpa sherpa and...
- Log #5173 - by Mr. Josef Simunek on Feb 16, 2000I v climbed this peak together with my friend Lhakpa Dorjee and a Mrs.Sona Vomackova. Last move we v made in alpine style from Camp 3 to Camp 4. We v set up a tent and on May 19th at about 4 a.
- Log #5174 - by Pascal Gavart on Feb 15, 2000We were 2 days late for the summit (wind). The day of our attempt, the winds were to strong. My advice: make BC at 5650m, wich will avoid the long trip up from 5250m over the morene. Try to put C3...