Marmolada is the highest peak in the Dolomites. The north side holds a large glacier, which is partially used for skiing, and includes the cablecars and crowds that accompany most ski resorts. Marmolada's South side is more remote, and offers one of the greatest vertical walls in the Dolomites. A variety of technical climbing routes exist on the wall, most notably on the south and southwest faces.
|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1863|
|First successful climber(s):||P. Grohmann, the Dimai brothers|
|Nearest major airport:||Venice, Italy|
|Convenient Center:||Canazei, Italy|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 28 trip reports for Marmolada.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22315 - by Gabika on Apr 07, 2012Prvy ladovec. Super
- Log #22000 - by J. Vranjes on July 11, 2010My starting point was the Fedaia Pass (2057 m), on the north side of the mountain, on July 3, 2010. There is a free car parking at the lake, after crossing the dam, used by many people to spend a...
- Log #21496 - by Alexander Haupt on Oct 29, 2008Solo ascent via N flank (normal route) from Rif. Pian dei Fiaconi. Plan was to go via W ridge via ferrata but unstable weather conditions demanded quick ascent and descent. Crampons, ice axe, helmet...
- Log #5197 - by Gerard Schelvis / Peter Langeveld on Aug 16, 2004Un bel giro sul ghiacciaio e sulla roccia, con nostro amico Italiano Fabio Gramola. La birra a la cima era buona e fresca, come la grappa. Gracie, Fabio e arrivederci.
- Log #5198 - by Mike Griffith on July 16, 2004Climbed the Marmolada with Richard Sawyer via the West Ridge via ferrata. There was quite a lot of snow and ice on the route, and judging by the absence of tracks we may have been only the second or...
- Log #5199 - by Tiziano on July 02, 2004Parete nord della marmolada alla punta Penia. Salita quasi interamente su neve (c'è n'è ancora tantissima) I crepacci sono tutti coperti.
- Log #5200 - by Ryszard and Tomasz Wichary on Oct 31, 2003We climbed from the north through the glacier and rocks between lower and higher glacier and went down when the glacier was just soften by the temperature.
- Log #5201 - by Patrick Deykers on Sep 09, 2003Succesfully on South Face, Vinatzer-Messner Route, 800m high, about 1000 climbing meters, max. 6+, 7 hours 25 minutes. Wonderful Climb !
- Log #5202 - by Pascal Lasnier-Lachaise on Aug 11, 2003We (Laetitia, Fred and myself) did it to the summit of the Marmolada on August the 1st 2003. We took the normal route for a nice and easy ascent over the glacier. With the actual heat, I recommend to...
- Log #5203 - by nico on July 23, 2003Great climb, snow , ice, rock. Quite steep up the glacier. Nico&Sandy
- Log #5204 - by Kuba Turek on June 18, 2003West Ridge: Photos and story (czech language) of ascent with my 5-year-old son.
- Log #5205 - by Alessandro Dal Zotto on June 16, 2003Splendida salita per la via normale in una giornata con un tempo meraviglioso. Facile, con un divertente tratto su roccette (ca. 200 m, max II grado) per raggiungere la cresta finale.
- Log #5206 - by Tiziano on Dec 20, 2002Alla Punta Penia per la cresta NORD OVEST, una bella salita AD con pendenze di 50°.
- Log #5207 - by Chandra-Luciano Malorni on July 16, 2002Percorso su ghiacciaio abbastanza crepacciato, con finale tratto di roccia che, sbagliando la via giusta, non è facilissimo. In più, da non sottovalutare, il grandioso feeling di aver raggiunto la...
- Log #5208 - by Giedrius Blaziunas on May 28, 2002Hello everyone. I would like some information about Marmolada,The higest peak in the Dolomites. Could someone send me a route maps and information about camps. Thank you very much.
- Log #5209 - by
Roberto Valandro on Oct 04, 2001Punta Serauta via Ferrata Eterna (con Roberto Pavan)
- Log #5210 - by baczoni Andres on July 29, 2001This is the most beautiful mountain in Dolomites. This was a great summit in snowstorm. I have got a lots of information for Dolomites, if somebody need it. Sziasztok!!!
- Log #5211 - by Maarten Faas on Mar 19, 2001With my dauther Marieke Faas (16).
- Log #5212 - by Thomas Onsea on Feb 17, 2001I like some information about the way from Rif.Pian Dei Fiacconi to Rif.Contrin? Please when you have some information send it to me.
- Log #5213 - by Thomas Weghofer on Dec 01, 2000On the top of Punta di Penia over the via ferrata on the west ridge an back to Lake Fedaia by the standard route, fine day!
- Log #5214 - by Alberto on Nov 30, 2000Wonderful weather, short time to reach and come back. 6 mountaineers from Modena CAI's section. I suggest double rope descent at "roccette" under the ridge "schena del mul". See...
- Log #5216 - by Andrea Goldoni on June 05, 2000Dal Passo Fedai si percorre per un ripido ma facile sentiro fino al Pian dei Fiacconi in 1:30 -2:00. Poco oltre inizia l' attacco della via Normale, che fino hai 3000 m e' una semplice via ben...
- Log #5217 - by Haakon Sem Thagaard on Oct 22, 1999I want some information about Marmolada,The higest peak in the Dolomites. Could sombody give me a route,I have been glacier-guide in Norway and I have been at Monte Rosa. I want a route with most...
- Log #5218 - by Olaf van Kolck on Oct 13, 1999We sumitted the punta penia over the south/west grade starting at bivacco marco dal Bianco (2702 m) when there was about 25 cm of snow. after a "cold night" at the top of the Dolomites we...
- Log #5219 - by Michiel van Reen on Oct 11, 1999This was the last peak of or week in the Dolomites and its was really a nice climb and the view was magnificient!! We started from Bivaco Marco Dal Bianco (where we have spend the night after...
- Log #5220 - by Andrea Girardi on Aug 18, 1999Ascent trough the Via Ferrata and descent over the normal route. Great impression during the eclipse!!! It became immediately colder and darker.
- Log #5221 - by Adam Marcinowicz on July 22, 1999Hi everyone, we made it! 4 Members of the Tudor Venture Scouts from Watford trecked to the top. The conditions were good. We went up the Glaciated side and along the ridge. The views were amazing and...
- Log #5222 - by Kristen Soper on Sep 12, 1998Day 15 Canazei to Treviso (Wednesday 8th July) Feeling relaxed after a day dedicated to resting I set off at 7.00am bound for the Passo de Fedaio and Marmolada the "Queen of the Dolomites". It seemed...