Mount Wellington Trip Report (#18818)
- Signed By: David Jeyachandran of Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Date submitted: July 11, 2005
- Date(s) climbed: 07/10/2005
- Number of People Encountered:25-50 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
Cycled to the top of Mt Wellington. It's a great ride on a well maintained. It's 20km ride from Hobart and about 15kms of that is a solid but steady climb. I hadn't properly trained for the ride and the last 6km hurt. There were some spectacular views along the way. The summit was dramatically colder and I had to turn around quickly. The fog moved in and it made my descent wet, slow and miserable. It was a little over 2hours from Hobart to the summit with a few rest stops. I recommend the ride or walk because this mountain is so accessible being so close to Hobart. It towers over Hobart and on a clear day the views are breath-taking. Very interesting rock structures on the way up known as the "organ pipes".