|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Mar, Dec|
|Year first climbed:||1909|
|First successful climber(s):||Jack Clarke, Alex Graham, B. Head|
|Nearest major airport:||Christchurch, South Island|
|Convenient Center:||Wanaka, South Island|
Mount Aspiring is one of South Island's most attractive mountains. It rises near the island's stormy west coast, its classic glaciated horn towering above the surroundings. It is hugged by glaciers on both its north and south sides, and ascending it requires ice skills, as well as rock climbing skills for the summit. The summit route has several huts along the way, which sometimes are needed for extended periods due to the persistence of the storms. Aspiring is 100 miles south of Mount Cook, New Zealand's highest mountain.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 18 trip reports for Mount Aspiring.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21289 - by Eric and Lucie on May 24, 2008Climbed the amazing SW ridge in great conditions. Really great, varied route: rock, ice, snow, mixed, you name it. We have a comprehensive TR and pics on our website (www.ericandlucie.
- Log #21089 - by an anonymous user on Nov 17, 2007Up at 2am, out of the hut at 3am, on the summit at 6am. Ramp was in good condition and made for fantastic climbing. Dawn on the summit was absolutely magical. What a great experience!
- Log #20706 - by Louis Kosztelny on Mar 23, 2007Climbed the 'Ramp'-route in cold and windy conditions. Started raining on the descent. Dropped down and walked along the bottom of the NW ridge back to the Colin Todd hut.
- Log #20707 - by Louis Kosztelny on Mar 23, 2007Climbed the South-West ridge in perfect conditions two days after having climbed Mount Cook. The crux of a 30-40" near vertical rock-ice pitch below the summit was tricky due to very thin ice.
- Log #19018 - by Mark Aitken on Feb 14, 20064 days of enjoyable mountaineering with Pete and James of Aspiring Guides. Raspberry Creek to French Ridge (6h) to Colin Todd hut (4h) to summit and back (11.5h)to Raspberry creek via Bevan's Col...
- Log #222 - by luke hasselman on Oct 17, 2004it started off in a howling norwester with rain persisting down. the next day dawned in to what was the most beautiful da of all time nice blue sks and as still and carm as ever.we walked up to...
- Log #223 - by
Mike Kendon Phil Kendon Lizzie Kennett on June 09, 2004Up the NW ridge from Colin Todd. A perfect day. We laid our map out on the top- there was not a breath of wind and no one else about - just three guys as tiny black dots walking across the Bonar....
- Log #224 - by
Jon Nermut on Mar 31, 2004Summited via NW Ridge with Aaron Scott. Large amounts of soft snow made for slow going. Descended via the Ramp in very soft conditions. 15 hours hut to hut.
- Log #225 - by Johann Chua on Feb 12, 2004Climbed the NW ridge. Was pinned down by high winds for 3 hours, a fantastic climb on a beautiful mountain.
- Log #226 - by Beni Paroli on Feb 07, 2004I was 17 years old at the time and I joined up with an Australian climber. We bivied at French ridge and set off in perfect weather about 2.30am.Up the quarterdeck and onto the Bonar.We ascended the...
- Log #227 - by Detlev Mueller on Jan 22, 2004Summitted via SW Ridge on a perfect clear day with Alan Pauza & Ian Gregory. Soft Snow made for an INTERESTING descent down the ramp. A beautiful route on a magical mountain.
- Log #228 - by Jason Free on Dec 27, 2003Climbed NW ridge via the Kangaroo snowfield, short-cut onto the ridge, got a bit lost coming back down the buttress which made for a long day; 13 1/2 hours return climb.
- Log #229 - by
AJW on Nov 05, 2003Nice climb. Took the Northwest ridge. Had good weather and climbing conditions. Might return to do the Southwest ridge route next year.
- Log #230 - by Mike Gilding on Aug 17, 2003One of the most beautiful mountains. Climbed the NW ridge with Ade Harris, Stu Coulthard and Phil Kenyon. Richard Gammage and Phil Smithson bivoaced at the bottom of the SW ridge and we all reached...
- Log #231 - by Howie Silleck on June 23, 2003Climbed this peak with Anna from Aspiring Guides in Wanaka - a perfect trip from start to finish! Up via the ramp, down over the rock on the NW ridge. Fantastic!
- Log #232 - by Andrew McCrorie on Aug 28, 2002Climbed NW Ridge from Colin Todd after waiting a day for NE storm to subside (guided party aborted 300m from summit due to strong winds on 12th Jan). Had fantastic weather and took time to sit on...
- Log #233 - by Thomas Permanseder on Feb 20, 2002I climbed Mt. Aspiring together with Anja and John. We took the easierst route over the north-west-ridge. We're lucky with the weather, had a wonderful day and a phantastic view.
- Log #234 - by Mark Simmonds on Dec 18, 1998A climbers mtn, very asthetic, with a variety of great routes.