Being the closest 10,000' peak to the Los Angeles metro area (about 40 air-miles), Mount Baldy is a one of the most popular hikes in Southern California. Four major trails (9-14 miles rt) wind toward the summit, and winter snows make for a moderately difficult, though beautiful winter ascent. The summit of Mount Baldy makes for an outstanding overnight stay, as the mountain overlooks the giant metropolis - yet is high enough in the atmosphere to allow exceptional star-gazing. The mountain is also a haven for wildlife including black bear, bighorn sheep, mountain lion, and mule deer. Mount Baldy and the San Gabriel Mountains are a stunningly close, yet largely unknown area to most Southern Californians.
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Ontario Int'l|
|Convenient Center:||Mount Baldy Village|
Thanks to Jason Richling for adding this peak.
Download any of the following KML maps for use in the full screen Google Earth application: . For more information, see our Google Earth page.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 15 trip reports for Mount San Antonio.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21750 - by EnFuego on Aug 18, 2009Hiked to Summit of Mount San Antonio under a full moon. Beautiful walk under clear skies, mild temperatures and bright full moon.
- Log #20773 - by Caglow on May 09, 2007Very easy trail. Ran out of water at top though.
- Log #18990 - by Mike Ryan on Dec 20, 2005Went up with two friends. No one else on the trail up or down from Manker Flats. Great day - just the birds and us. Cold and windy up top, and a new summit log placed by elevation plaque [put there...
- Log #18991 - by Mike Ryan on Dec 12, 2005Went up alone and met about 10-12 people up and down. Four and 1/2 hours up [I'm out of shape], and some ice and snow as you approached the ski hut. More after, buut no need for any extra gear. Cold...
- Log #19050 - by Scott Tracy Griffin on Aug 15, 2005Started up Ice House Canyon to the saddle, bagged the three T's, on to Baldy via Devil's Backbone. Returned to Baldy Village via the Bear Canyon Trail, then walked back up the road to my car at Ice...
- Log #17424 - by
Scott Griffin on June 10, 2004Summited via the Baldy Bowl Trail from Manker Flats, back down via the Devil's Backbone. Perfect weather for hiking -- warm at the bottom, but cool at the summit with a slight breeze. There are a few...
- Log #17425 - by
Andy McAllister on May 30, 2004Looks like no one else here climbed starting at Mount Baldy, also known as Baldy Village also known as Baldy Town. That hike is 12.2 miles round trip, and 5800 foot elevation change. You start at the...
- Log #17426 - by
Kelly Lexington on Nov 27, 2003Left Manker Flats and took the ski hut trail for the first time to the summit, camped overnight to watch the Perseids and woke up at sunrise, hiked Devils Backbone back.
- Log #17427 - by
Chris Burr on Oct 01, 2003Started late afternoon on Tuesday and reached the top an hour before sunset, which was a great sight, and started down late the next morning. On the way down, I almost walked into a pair of mountain...
- Log #17428 - by Kristy Leibensperger on Sep 02, 2003Ran to the top. I am never going to whine about my usual workouts again!!!!!!
- Log #17429 - by alex on Sep 01, 2003August 30, 2003 It was a great day for hiking on that Saturday. I got a late start at 11am. However, I reach the top at 3:30pm because I stopped at the Sierra Hut and got a great history lesson on...
- Log #17430 - by Ryan on July 10, 2003This climb is great if you can find a clear day to do it. Otherwise the smog in the valley will obstruct the view of Catalina Island and the Sierra's. Be sure to bring a lot of water because there is...
- Log #17431 - by Mike Mellin on May 12, 2003via Ski Hut trail
- Log #17432 - by
Scott Rinefort on Apr 25, 2003Hit the summit twice in one day as part of the Baldy Peaks 50k race. From Ice House Cyn, then up Bear Cyn to the summit, Baldy Notch to Manker Flats to restock, then up Sierra Club Cabin trail to...
- Log #17433 - by
Mike Greenfield on Mar 07, 2003Ran in Mt Baldy Run to the Top . . . it really sucked . . . looking forward to running in this year's race . . .