|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1936|
|First successful climber(s):||Noel Odell, Bill Tilman|
|Nearest major airport:||Delhi, India|
|Convenient Center:||Hardwar, India|
Nanda Devi, whose name means Blessed Goddess, is the highest mountain in India. It is a great white double pyramid overlooking the sacred Garhwal region. Nanda Devi rises from a vast ring of high mountains that form the Nanda Devi Sanctuary, an amphitheater seventy miles in circumference and 6000m high, surrounding the Rishiganga valley. Only once in this giant cirque does the elevation drop below 5200 m. Repeated early efforts to reach the inner sanctuary failed. Bill Tilman finally reached the sanctuary in 1934 with Eric Shipton, then Tilman climbed to the summit in 1936 with Noel Odell. With this ascent, Nanda Devi became the highest peak attained by man, a record which remained until the 1950 ascent of Annapurna.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 8 trip reports for Nanda Devi.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #5814 - by Cynthia L. Hallen on Sep 20, 2004Ben Beattie (1945-1978) Ben died in the Himalayas several years ago. I found out when I sent a Christmas card to his address in Scotland. Mrs. C. M. Davidson kindly sent a note dated 12 September...
- Log #5815 - by Patrick Ford on July 15, 2004I am putting my cousin's name here in memory.William (Sam) Beattie.He was lost on Nanda Devi nearly 30 years ago. Forever young.
- Log #5816 - by Elvar Orn on Oct 21, 2003I'm looking for any information about climbing Nanda Devi in India. please if any have info about it.
- Log #5817 - by gaurav on May 01, 2003i am interested in mountainering, i want to know what to do to start with, i have experience in treks & rock climbing
- Log #5818 - by Pawan Jaidka on Dec 10, 2002I trekked from Auli to Kuvari Pass with one night in the Nanda Devi Basin in late November 2002. Took some fantastic pictures of Nanda Devi and Dronagiri which can be e-mailed upon request. Am...
- Log #5819 - by NIYATI TRIPATHY on Aug 18, 2002I AM LOOKING FOR ENTHUSIASTS/EXPERIENCED MOUNTAINEERS TO GO TO THE SUMMIT WITH. IN CASE ONE IS LOOKING FOR TEAM MEMBERS, ONE MAY CONTACT ME ON MY E-MAIL AND I WILL GET BACK IMMEDIATELY. ...
- Log #5820 - by Kai on Mar 13, 2001The Garwhal in India had been banned for climbers for some years because: "the sacred sanctuary of Nanda Devi had been violated in the mid 1960s bz secret CIA-sponsored expeditions. In 1965, a...
- Log #5821 - by Tao on Jan 01, 1999Anyone who wants to visit the region can ask me to send him some pictures i made from a nearby top on a cloudless day. I made a 360 degree all-aroundseries of 17 pictures which allows you to identify...