Nanga Parbat, whose name means Naked Mountain, is the ninth highest mountain in the world, and the westernmost mountain of the Himalayas. Its vast snowy face is a powerful spectacle when seen from the arid Indus Valley, approaching the mountain from the west. Here the mountain towers in isolation over 22,000 feet from the valley floor. The mountain is easy to reach (China's Karakoram Highway approaches the base of the mountain from the north), but is not so easy to climb. Unstable glaciers and frequent storms and avalanches have proved hazardous, most notably to the German party who first attempted the peak. Herman Buhl successfully reached the summit, but this was only after having lost eleven climbers and fifteen porters during the ascent. Many other climbers have subsequently been killed on this mountain.
|Difficulty:||Major Mountain Expedition|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1953|
|First successful climber(s):||Herman Buhl|
|Nearest major airport:||Rawalpindi, Pakistan|
|Convenient Center:||Chilas, Pakistan|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 15 trip reports for Nanga Parbat.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #21338 - by Aabi on July 09, 2008Best Place to stay at Nanaga Parbat is Fairy Meadows. Few hikes from Fairy Meadows and you can go to BC of Raikot Face. http://www.fairymeadowscottage.
- Log #18806 - by Hasan Faisal on Feb 14, 2006I visited the Diamir base camp frpm 19 July till 28 july. I was alone but base camp was full of people. I climbed till camp 1 just for fun. The experience was great.
- Log #5826 - by hans f steinhauser on May 24, 2004I knew about naga parbat in my home city Bratislava Slovakia in the nineteen thirtees when it was unless i guess in the papers also ther si a National Geographic Adventure edittion about N.P. THE...
- Log #5827 - by Anchan Ali mira on Feb 27, 2004escription= Karakoram Treks & Tours, Established in 1978, is the first company to organize treks and mountaineering expeditions in the Northern areas of Pakistan. KARAKORAM TREKS & TOURS...
- Log #5828 - by Umer Shafqat on Oct 01, 2003It is just amazing. In the whole Diamir and adjacent areas, all you can see and feel is Nanga Parbat. Be it a flight in that area, or you are in deosai or travelling on KKH, no matter where you go,...
- Log #5830 - by Shahid Kamal Ahsan on Sep 30, 2003Everything was astonishing. I was just spell bound when I first saw the peak. Standing in front of about 8000 meters is something extraordinary and I just couldn't forget that day for the rest of my...
- Log #5832 - by Kamran Raie on Aug 07, 2003Summit North & South Julipar.....feel like face to face talking with the naked mountain
- Log #5842 - by Kamran Raie on May 22, 2003I have submit South Juliper Peak the right sholder of Nanga Parbat
- Log #5834 - by
steve johnson on Jan 24, 2003I spent 10 days in total climbing nanga 5 up and 5 down, we got to the mezino pass at about 18,000 feet, it was fantastic, a real experiance never to be forgoten
- Log #5835 - by Muhammad Saqib on July 06, 2002I went to its base camp. Which is called the Polish base camp. It was a great experience. I can never forget the scenes of this KILLER MOUNTAIN.
- Log #5836 - by Kamran Raie on July 05, 2002Nanga Parbat is simply The Naked Mountain
- Log #5837 - by Adeel KAmran on July 17, 2001I wish i could have feel the chillness of this mighty peice of creation. I pray that eyes may see the worlds of peaks from the top of Nanga. May GOD give us courage to prove the greatness of...
- Log #5838 - by carolyn orcutt on June 03, 2001My thoughts are with you as you climb Nanga Parbat. I wish you much success, and most of all, I pray that you will be safe.
- Log #5839 - by mohammad iqbal on Jan 24, 2001Please,clear the mistake in facts of nanga parbat, LOCATION:DIAMER,GILGIT, NOT IN NORTH WEST FRONTIER PROVINCE OF PAKISTAN,BECAUSE GILGIT BALTISTAN ARE NO LINK WITH THAT PROVINCE.PLEASE PLEASE CLEAR...
- Log #5841 - by JORDI MENA on Sep 16, 1999I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT SILVER CRAG PEAK. DIFICULT IF IT POSSIBLE A LITLLE PHOTO. THANK YOU VERY MUCH