|Nearest major airport:||Quito|
Thanks to Jon Zigmond for adding this peak.
Rucu Pichincha is one of the three major peaks comprising the Pichinchas (the others being Guagua Pichincha and Padre Encantado). The mountain is NOT safe to climb directly from Quito because the route passes close by a poor area where robberies (and rapes) - even of groups - are known. Probably it is safe to go along the ridge the other side from Guagua Pichincha and then descend away from Quito.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Rucu Pichincha.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22377 - by Shulse on Apr 08, 2013My son and I planned on climbing the 5.1 route, but backed off due to nearby thunder. Instead we hiked up the trail to the top. Only one other person was on the mountain- a climber from Holland.
- Log #21911 - by Christian Rodriguez on Feb 18, 2010Really nice climb/hike. Partners: Edgar Rivera / Christian Rodriguez
- Log #21596 - by Jack Nugent on Feb 16, 2009Dan, Pop, Steve and myself took the telefarique up to Ricu's base and had a nice climb to the peak. It was a weekday and we ran into only a handful of people. Nice switchbacks along gentle slopes...
- Log #21204 - by Jack Plotkin on Mar 02, 2008To acclimatize for an upcoming ascent of Chimborazo, Randy and I headed for Quito's TeleferiQo (www.teleferiqo.com) just ten minutes from the new or old towns. We arrived on a Sunday at 9am when the...
- Log #20462 - by enrique diaz on Oct 30, 2006basic it was a long walk from the cable car, about 2.5 hour, ending with a step up ramp of loose dirt and rocks, 500 metres before reaching the top. the day was clear, no rain not very windy, i am...
- Log #19336 - by Luis Canizares on Sep 27, 2006It's a great experiencie in rock climbing if you're newbie because yo can learn a lot except in El Paso de La Muerte that's the difficult and risky lesson. By the way, you can take another route to...
- Log #17715 - by karsten delap on Nov 11, 2004nice warm up for other ecuadorian volcanos
- Log #17716 - by Ben Boykin on Jan 12, 2004K Siebke & I attempted to hike up Rucu from the PanAm Highway in Quito. We turned abck at about 13,500 ft, having broken out of the forest and finding ourselves on a plain with several higher...
- Log #17717 - by Michael Reis on Aug 07, 2003A nice hike that represents my personal high in terms of altitude. This hike started from the the antenna station and lasted about 7 hours, with a total elevation gain of about 900 meters (3,000...