Route Description- This is a 3400'+/- day. Fairview Mountain is one of the easiest Canadian Rocky scrambles.
Park at the Lake Louise Chateau hotel 5 km south of town. The Saddleback trail starts near the boathouse along the southern lake shore. Take the Saddleback Trail to the saddle between Saddle Peak and Fairview (3.7 km at 2200' gain). I could have used spikes (not crampons) on the trail (ice) on the way to the saddle.
Once at the saddle, turn right and ascend the southeast scree slope to Fairview's summit. We had fresh snow, therefore, no trail to follow. We did have snow from Lake Louise on up and were post holing it from the saddle to the summit (1200' gain). The glissade down in snow is very quick.
The views are tremendous for such a small mountain with easy access. They include, Haddo, Aberdeen, Temple, Valley of the Ten Peaks, Whyte, Niblock, Victoria and the Deathtrap, Daly, Richardson, etc. There appears to be no summit cairn or register. However, there is a great photo op as per the dog photo above.
The adjacent Saddle Mountain can be ascended with minimal extra effort.
Essential Gear- Ice Walkers and Gaiters if early season. Bear Spray. Good one to take the dog or kids.
|Year first climbed:||1893|
|First successful climber(s):||Samuel E.S. Allen, Walter D. Wilcox|
|Nearest major airport:||Calgary International|
|Convenient Center:||Lake Louise|
Thanks to Dow Williams for adding this peak.
There are 11 trip reports for Fairview Mountain.
- Log #18213 - by mark smith on Aug 17, 2004Myself & Roger (visiting from England)enjoyed the views from the summit; it was very hot and we didn't find the trail until three quarters of the way up! The bushwacking was really hard work,...
- Log #18214 - by Steve & Regan Sproule on Aug 16, 2004In the Rockies on our honeymoon! An easily attainable peak, with AWESOME views!! Definitely one worth doing again, maybe early early in the morning to avoid crowds. Though the weather wasn't the...
- Log #18215 - by
Tim L. Helmer on Oct 12, 2003I hiked up this mountain with two friends and we had a great day. I photographed them on the summit and it was a memorable picture. One of the great hikes in the Canadian Rockies.
- Log #18217 - by Sheldon on Aug 04, 2003Fairveiw really was a fairveiw but I didn't like the crowds. For faster people it is a nice half day hike/scramble.
- Log #18218 - by
Craig Knelsen on June 21, 2003I highly recommend this hike to anyone who visits Lake Louise. Provides spectacular views of Mt. Victoria and the Victoria glacier -- you may even see a piece of the glacier breaking off -- I did in...
- Log #18219 - by Michael L on May 22, 2003Fairview Mountain provides a terrific view of Mount Victoria, Victoria Glacier and Bow Valley. Easy hike, even the beginners can do it.
- Log #19095 - by Dow Williams on Feb 14, 2006Park at Lake Louise and take the Saddleback Trail to the saddle between Saddle Peak and Fairview (2200'). I could have used spikes (not crampons) on the trail (ice) on the way to the saddle. Going...
- Log #20857 - by an anonymous user on July 02, 2007fairview mountain has great views from the top, it is an easy scramble. there are clifs on either side of the east face so stay close to the ducks that i put to mark the way to the top.
- Log #21735 - by theyogiclimber on Aug 09, 2009We were lucky with perfect clear skies and pleasant temperatures. We started around 8 am and summited by 11:30. Got back to the parking lot at Lake Louise around 2 pm. The trail was snow-free so this...
- Log #21762 - by Cheryle Battrum on Aug 28, 2009This popular hike is easy and the views are fantastic! It's a great afternoon excursion!
- Log #21958 - by Ryan Meral on Mar 14, 2010Wonderful view from the top. Hard hike (especially the last mile) or a very easy scramble. View of Lake Louise and all the glaciers were beautiful. Also, great views of the towering Mount Temple made...