Pioneer Peak Trip Report (#20171)
- Signed By: Lionel Kennedy of Kensington, Maryland, USA
- Date submitted: August 07, 2006
- Date(s) climbed: 6 August 2006
- Number of People Encountered:11-25 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
What the Peakware climb description does not tell you is that there are two Pioneer Peaks, a north summit and a south summit. Like most people we used the Pioneer Ridge trail from Knik River Road and climbed the south summit, which is said to be 4 feet lower than the north one. You start essentially at sea level, and for most of the 6200 feet of climbing you go up a grassy ridge with beautiful and ever-expanding views. The last part of the climb is a Class 3 rock scramble along the top and right side of the south ridge.