Mt. Wilcox is located in the upper Sunwapta River Valley within the Columbia Icefields area of Jasper NP. Wilcox's elevation pales in comparison to nearby Athabasca (3491m/11,454') and Andromeda but its strategic location and straightforward route make it a very worthwhile objective. For a modest elevation gain of 900m/2950', you are rewarded with some of the most spectacular views in the Rockies.
Moderate scrambling by the southeast ridge with some mild exposure near the top. The Wilcox Pass hiking trail simplifies the approach. Guidebook: "Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies" by Alan Kane.
The mountain was named by J. Norman Collie in 1898 after Walter Wilcox. Walter Wilcox, a Yale scholar, explored the Lake Louise area in the early 1890s.
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Nearest major airport:||Edmonton|
Thanks to Craig Knelsen for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Mount Wilcox.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20534 - by James Wade on Dec 11, 2006Amazing view from the top. Columbia Icefields, mountains in the distance to the west present a spectacular view.
- Log #20487 - by Dow Williams on Nov 14, 20062 hours to the summit, 3.5 total from the Icefield Parkway Center. One of the quickest trips in Kane's book. Trying to squeeze in one more before a big front moves in a ton of fresh snow.
- Log #19501 - by Kevin Jacobs on July 02, 2006This was the second mountain I have been to the top of and it was very rewarding. I followed the trail from the north west side of the mountain into the meadow behind wilcox and tangle to the north....
- Log #18373 - by
Bill Sutton on Sep 21, 2003We thoroughly enjoyed this summit. Not many in the world with this nice an icefield view. The approach trail is one of the best rated in the area !!
- Log #18374 - by Derek Hudson on Aug 11, 2003Summitted with a group of 16-17 year olds from the LDS Edmonton Riverbend Stake. Party included Jim Sutherland, Mark Davidson, Scott Gwilliam, Justin Haylin, Justin Greenley, Jordan Rice, Craig...
- Log #18375 - by Jeff Shaw on Aug 05, 2003Le mont Wilcox était la première montangne des quatre qu'on est monté tout à la fois. Le sentier était agréable et il faisait très beau. On a pu voir beaucoup d'autres montanges de la région....
- Log #18376 - by Craig Knelsen on June 27, 2003Follow the Wilcox pass trail for about 45 minutes when tree line is reached. At this point, pick a suitable line (you may not find any discernible trail from the pass) to the lower ridge, a mix of...