Schreckhorn is a steep rock peak, surrounded by ice. It is the high point on a long, narrow craggy ridge that joins the Upper and Lower Grindelwald glaciers. There are several minor peaks on this ridge as well. Schreckhorn is the most difficult of all 4,000 meter peaks in the European Alps, primarily due to the 2000-foot rock tower that marks its summit.
The normal route is starting in Grindelwald via the Schreckhornhütte (2529 m) and the southwest ridge to the summit.
As there is a "Klein Schreckhorn" as well, it is also called "Grosses Schreckhorn".
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1861|
|First successful climber(s):||Sir Leslie Stephen, Ulrich Kaufmann, Christian Michel, and Peter Michel|
|Nearest major airport:||Bern, Switzerland|
|Convenient Center:||Grindelwald, Switzerland|
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 7 trip reports for Schreckhorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #6914 - by
Andres on Oct 01, 2003A long but very beautyful approach to the Schreckhorn hut comes together with a long and great route. One of my best trips ever.
- Log #6915 - by Francesco Musetta on Nov 06, 2000Schreckhorn is difficult to climb,but it's not the most difficut 4000 in Europe.Aiguille Blanche in the Mont Blanc rank :easiest route UIAA D+(up to IV rock climbing, ice 50°-55°)
- Log #6916 - by Tobias Göring on Nov 05, 2000Great ascent, not very good conditions (icy rock), return tu the schreckhorn hut late in the evening (8 p.m.) 'cause the "ramp" was not to be climbed down any more (avalanches of rock and ice every...
- Log #6917 - by Simon Hughes on Aug 31, 2000Climbed with Ian Whatmough and James MacKenzie. Normal start at 0230. Summitted about 1130. Weather good but starting to turn - windy up high.
- Log #6918 - by Jo De Smedt and Renée Mettrie on Jan 20, 2000De Schreckhorn Verwezenlijking van een Droom Als Jo De Smedt me voor het eerst vraagt hem te vergezellen naar de Schreckhorn, zijn laatste van de 60 vierduizenders in de Alpen, lijkt me dit...
- Log #6919 - by Alex Hofmann on Oct 05, 1999Great looking mountain, got nowhere near the top. Schreckhornhuette unattended but open, long slog up from Grindelwald. Take the Pfingsteggbahn if it is open. Fantastic scenery of ice fields and...
- Log #6920 - by Stefan Weber on Jan 04, 1999A great day of climbing up the south ridge and down the regular route.... But a very long day to reach Grindelwald after all this at the same day.