|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug|
|Year first climbed:||?|
|First successful climber(s):||?|
|Nearest major airport:||Lima|
Thanks to Nyle K Walton for adding this peak.
Vallunaraju is the nearest major peak to Huaraz. Its twin summits loom above the city which is the main hub of the Callejon de Huaylas. It is an excellent training and acclimatization peak for mountaineers who wish to climb the higher peaks of the Cordillera Blanca including the Huascaran, Peru's highest summit and the highest peak within the tropics. Its lower glacier is quite extensive for all-year skiing.
Thanks to Nyle K Walton for this description.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 6 trip reports for Vallunaraju.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22352 - by Cal on Oct 17, 2012Only thing tricky about this climb was getting to moraine camp where some parts of the trail up the cliff disappear or seem to lead to a dead-end. Also, parks-service workers told us it would take 3...
- Log #21579 - by Todd Katter on Jan 19, 2009My two brothers and I climbed this mountain in September 2002 on a two-day expedition. We were dropped off near a lake and then hiked to base camp, about 4700M high and a little bit below the...
- Log #21064 - by Gil Sharon on Oct 16, 2007Great view, not too difficult or technical.
- Log #21041 - by Ian Fogg on Sep 29, 2007Three days to summit, camps at the refugio and morraine sites (watch out for the cows at the refugio).The peak had more snow cover than previous years, so many of the crevasses were hidden which made...
- Log #20729 - by Mike Cohen on Apr 04, 2007In June, 1975, Rod Brooks (from Australia) and I did the steep side of Vallunaraju, the one towards the lake (which I think is the West side, but I'm not positive, since it was a long time ago). We...
- Log #18539 - by Nyle K Walton on Oct 21, 2003Soaring above Huaraz in the Cordillera Blanca, Vallunaraju's twin peaks are surrounded by a huge snowfield perfect for year-around skiing. It is an ideal acclimatization peak for mountaineers...