|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct|
|Nearest major airport:||Denver International|
|Convenient Center:||Estes Park|
Thanks to John Shields for adding this peak.
The east face of this peak forms a very steep and large cirque that drops 2000 verticle feet to Spectacle Lakes. Ice climbers will appreciate the Y colouir (III 5.4 AI4) on the east face for which the peak is named. A large, wind loaded cornice forms every year at the top of the east face. The NE Blitzen Ridge (II 5.4) forms the right edge of the cirque. The SW ridge is the easiest ascent route and is hikable during late summer months.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 9 trip reports for Mount Ypsilon.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #19293 - by Peter Werkowitch on Sep 27, 2006Amazing. Oh top, I could see everything and I felt so energized. Toward the back of the peak, is a huge valley sitting between two ranges. I can't wait to go back.
- Log #7218 - by John Shields on July 28, 2004The approach to Ypsilon is fairly long from the east side, 5 miles to Ypsilon Lake at the base of the eastern face. Deep pockets of snow remain into summer in the shady gullies surrounding the...
- Log #7210 - by
Christoph Wehs on Oct 03, 2003Nice climb. Good weather on our ascent up the mountain. Little windy on the way down.
- Log #7211 - by Peter & Ben Alexander on Aug 29, 2003Peter, Linda & Ben (10) Alexander climbed Mts. Chiquita & Ypsilon with Kirsten & Forrest Weger via the trail from the Chapin Pass Trailhead on Fall River Road. This is a walk-up route...
- Log #7212 - by Chris Reed on May 25, 2003It was a fun hike, it looks as though it would be relatively easy to climb two other 13ers besides Ypsilon all in one day. The views are amazing from the top.
- Log #7214 - by Patrick Spook on Aug 29, 2001This hike i think had the best views from anywhere in RMNP it was very beautiful and cool
- Log #7215 - by Jeff & Tammy Godin on Aug 28, 2001Great views from the summit - glacier gorge, never summer range. It was our first 13er.
- Log #7216 - by Jim Lombard on June 22, 2001Climbed with AMC group of 11, 7 of us made the summit. One of the most spectacular hikes I've ever done. Windy and cold but clear.
- Log #7217 - by
Bernhard Fleisch on Jan 23, 2001I ascended this peak with my friends Marco Klocker and Thomas Neubacher by ski. We were on top at noon and had a wonderful round view on the mountains of the region. The valleys were covered with an...