|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Mar, Oct, Nov, Dec|
|Year first climbed:||1503|
|First successful climber(s):||Antonio de Saldanha|
|Nearest major airport:||Cape Town, South Africa|
|Convenient Center:||Cape Town, South Africa|
Table Mountain is a large flattop mountain in the far southwestern corner of Africa. It overlooks the industry and sprawling suburbs of Cape Town, and provides a silent retreat from the city's noisy streets. Its deeply scarred and craggy sandstone cliffs are one of the most popular climbs in the world, and there are over 500 documented routes to the top, many of them serious technical climbs. The mountain's summit is often obscured within a low cloud, sometimes referred to as The Table Cloth. Interestingly, the summit averages over 70 inches of annual precipitation, while Cape Town only receives 25 inches. Consequently, vegetation on the summit grows much more luxuriantly than on the land below.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 10 trip reports for Table Mountain.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #19103 - by carol dawes on Feb 14, 2006went up in the cable car, the view is magnificent from the top.would recommend it to any one.
- Log #7248 - by Odd Roar Nesje on Dec 26, 2003I was leaving South Africa on the Athlone Castle after staying in Eshowe Zululand for 6 years. While the ship was in Cape Town we climbed Table mountain on the 8th. March 1954. As this was very...
- Log #7249 - by duleanno kridich on May 01, 2002just absoolutely breathless I become, each and single time I get to the top. stunning vistas
- Log #7251 - by Alida Delport on Jan 13, 2002The most memorable climb was in Febaruary 2001, when we saw the red disas blooming in the little streams just below McClear's Beacon. It was stunning - they only bloom for 3 weeks each year.
- Log #7252 - by Brian Zivicky on Dec 25, 2001Relatively easy hike, but one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen.
- Log #7253 - by Daryl Lieman on June 26, 2001Unbelievable specticle of the Cape of Good Hope. Highly recommended both to the local as well as the international adventure seeker
- Log #7254 - by craig weldon on Dec 05, 2000Rapid ascent up Plettenberg's(?) Kloof near the cable car terminus. Decided to walk the length of the ridge to Grootkap (recommended). Decided to get down at sunset via Myburgh's waterfall ravine...
- Log #7255 - by Ryan Allderman on June 14, 2000Excellent rock climbing on good rock. Good exposure. Spectacular views of the city's beaches.
- Log #7256 - by Pieter Strauss on Feb 23, 2000Please don`t underestimate our beautiful mountain Rent a good Mountain guide if you are inexperienced.The sights will take your breath away!
- Log #7257 - by Paul Cameron on May 22, 1999Spent a fantastic day climbing on Table Mountain - did some climbs on the southern side, then did a climb called Africa Crag directly under the cable car. MAN IT HAD SOME EXPOSURE ! Hanging on a...