|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1825|
|First successful climber(s):||Peytier, Hossard and party|
|Nearest major airport:||Lourdes or Toulouse, France, Zaragoza, Pamplona or Barcelona, Spain|
|Convenient Center:||Spain: Jaca, Sabiñanigo. France: Arrens|
Balaitous is one of the most remote peaks of the Pyrenees. It is a large granite mountain with extensive ridges and a number of rugged peaks and crags surrounding it. All routes to the summit are long and moderately difficult.
The most technical and difficult 3000m peak in the Pyrenees is connected to Balaitous by a sharp ridge (rock climbing gear needed).
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 8 trip reports for Balaitous.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #435 - by
David on July 07, 2003Two of us climbed the peak in fairly snowy conditions. The way up was fine, with some ambiguities in route-finding on the last stretch. We started the descent around 2 pm, in very hot weather. We got...
- Log #433 - by Dave & Genevieve Hubble on July 06, 2003Arrived for coffee at Larribet and seeing the peak in cloud cover decided to go as far as the col Noir at a tourist's pace. Met several disappointed groups beaten by fog coming down. COL NOIR...
- Log #436 - by PASIAN Frédéric on Aug 22, 2002I climbed the Balaitous from the Larribet hut, ascending via a breach located 60 meters on the right of the Col Noir (which is too dangerous now) and the Grande Diagonale way.
- Log #437 - by Eduardo on May 03, 2002Atencion a final de invierno o principios de primavera, ya que si atacais el pico por el lado frances del glaciar de las nieus; la chimanea final puede devenir en un corredor con partes de escalada...
- Log #438 - by Philip Groves and Owain Glyndwr on Aug 22, 2000For this third summit climb to the Balaitous, I started out in the valley near the road to the Portalet col; reached the homely Arr'moulit hut at about a quarter past eleven; a clear, windy day with...
- Log #439 - by Katu on May 02, 2000Monte con aproximacion peligrosa dependiendo de la poca, por el sur peligro de avalanchas hasta bien entrada la primavera. Por lo demos, solo resulta un poco complicado la ascencion por la llamada...
- Log #441 - by J. Hunter & S. Mcleod. on Apr 04, 2000Both ascents from Sallent to Resposmuso and then to summit via "la Breche." Stunning scrambling in a fabulous area. Views from the summit were immense. Descent via La Grande Diagonale to...
- Log #442 - by Simon Gwyn Roberts on Nov 25, 1998The traverse of Balaitous from the Larribet hut, ascending via the Col Noir and Grande Diagonale, descending via the Vire Beraldi and glacier is a rewarding expedition of the highest quality on a...