Mount Whitney Trip Report (#20298)
- Signed By: Jesse Engelberg of San Francisco, California, USA
- Date submitted: September 27, 2006
- Date(s) climbed: 8/29-8/30
- Number of People Encountered:25-50 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
I hiked the main trail up Whitney for the third time in four years, with a friend from Portola Valley.
We were planning on hiking to trail camp, but a late start and high winds made us decide to stay at Outpost. The climb took longer than we'd anticipated, and a lack of water made the descent somewhat unpleasant. A 4AM start got us back to Outpost by 7PM, and then we packed up and returned to the Portal by 11PM. It was a very long day.