Mount Whitney Trip Report (#21527)
- Signed By: Linda Markey of San Diego, Ca, USA
- Date submitted: December 04, 2008
- Date(s) climbed: 8/5/2008
- Number of People Encountered:11-25 people
- Recommend to a Friend: Highly
A fantastic climb. Left a 4 am after camping at the portal campground for 1 day where we saw 2 bears that morning. We took 8 hours to summit but the young (18-28 y.o.) guys in our group made it to the top in 5 hours. The information we had read made the climb sound quite frightning in spots but we did not find that true and I AM afraid of heights. We took 6 hours to return to the campgound and probably could of gone quicker but one member of our group had problems with the altitude.
I would recommend being in good shape and sleeping above 9000 feet for a few days in preparation for this hike. A great experience!