|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1864|
|First successful climber(s):||Leslie Stephen, F. Crauford Grove, Melchior Andregg, Jakob Andregg|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva, Switzerland|
|Convenient Center:||Zermatt, Switzerland|
Zinalrothorn is a noble, slendor peak, one of the many 4,000 meter summits of the Pennine Alps. It has a number of challenging rock-climbing routes, the most difficult being the steep, rugged East Face.
The following weather information is provided for the nearest supported peak. The weather icons reflect weather conditions from the base of the mountain, while the wind, temperature and humidity reflect conditions at the summit.
Weather by meteoexploration.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 20 trip reports for Zinalrothorn.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #22234 - by Stephen Klemich on Aug 18, 2011this is a big day out with technical climbing. Mentally hard to climb up and down the ridge as you keep getting closer to the summit. Then having to reverse the entire route back.
- Log #18747 - by roger gaff on Jan 09, 2005SE ridge route with the usual approach from the Rothorn Hut. Good and interesting mixed route with a superb ridge on v. good gneiss from the Gabel notch. The rock on the rib to the left of the old...
- Log #8175 - by
Thomas Gentry on Nov 26, 2003Crowded, but a great view at the summit. Start early to avoid waiting on the more difficult parts of the route. Much more enjoyable that way.
- Log #8176 - by Andrew Tees on Nov 11, 2003Took usual route from Rothorn Hut. Had to move fast as bad weather was moving in, great climbing in a brilliant position. Much more enjoyable climb than the Matterhorn! Got out of the couloir just as...
- Log #8177 - by
Jill Jones on Sep 04, 2003Normal route from the rothorn Hut. Ice, snow & rock - a terrific climb. Great preparation for the Matterhorn & great climb in its own right.
- Log #8179 - by Olivier Dumon on Nov 19, 2002Magnifique course en traversèe, depuis la cabane du Grand Mountet, par Rothorngrat. Mixte, glace, rocher, tout y est. Trës beau temps jusqu'au sommet, atteint a 9h,puis degradation brutale au 1/3...
- Log #8180 - by Tobias Göring on Oct 25, 2002Solo on normal way from Rothorn hut, good conditions
- Log #8181 - by Richard Franklin on Aug 22, 2002Summited from the Rothorn Hut via the SE Ridge. Fantastic climb but we took far too long! Great views of the Matterhorn if you like that kind of things!
- Log #8182 - by lorenzo on Aug 03, 2002Rothorngrat-North ridge from Mountet
- Log #8183 - by James Wright on Nov 27, 2001Climbed Kanzelgrat(D, up to V). fantastic and challenging climbing. huge exposure over east face in places, also avoids busy and rockfall prone couloir of normal route, which we came down....
- Log #8184 - by Tino Curti on Sep 06, 2000Ascent by the SE-Grat, starting by the RothornHutte. Cold day, with cold wind. Snow on the ridge.
- Log #8185 - by john handley on Aug 20, 2000normal route from rothorn hut some rockfall in coulior plenty of natural belays and pegs superb route
- Log #8186 - by Gabriella van Wasbeek on Aug 08, 2000"A fantastic view when we climbed the Zinal Rothorn. A beautiful sunrise with in the background, the Matterhorn. On the summit for 1 1/2 hour enjoying the view, which reached out til the Gran...
- Log #8187 - by Michel and Francois Promel on Mar 07, 2000North ridge from the Grand Mountet Hut. Full moon lightening the Alps ... what an exciting route combining the so thin snowy Arete du Blanc, the beautiful rocks of the Rasoir and the Sphynx, the...
- Log #8188 - by Stan Sattelberg on Jan 26, 2000Mostly cloudy day. Thrill getting by the big boulder on the short pitch to the summit. On the descent, just after we got off the diagonal "catwalk" for lack of a better word, onto the top...
- Log #8189 - by Hans Wennerström on Aug 25, 1999"We reached - I had almost said the top; but the Rothorn has no top. It has a place where a top manifestly ought to have been, but the work had been left unfinished. It ended in a flat circular area...
- Log #8190 - by Pascal Brisset on July 28, 1999Started from the Mountet Hut under the rain, snow was deep. Nice rock on the ridge and beautiful view on Obergabelhorn and Dent Blanche.
- Log #8191 - by Frank on May 28, 1999Nice climb, however to crowded. This causes danger of falling rocks when climbing from the gletcher to the ridge.
- Log #8192 - by Rob Lotthrincx on May 27, 1999It was a beautiful day. But the quidebook said that it was not difficult (II-III). I think (and more people do this) that the route is III-IV. However, I remember the day as a lovely day
- Log #8193 - by Pierre Durin on Feb 09, 1999Climbed SW ridge, and went down on N ridge. The route is beautiful and easy (AD+ but at a pretty high elevation), but the view on Dent blanche and Ober Gabelhorn (I recommend its N face) are just...