Located on the spectacular Washington Pass, Liberty Bell is a dome-like mass that is one of 5 peaks that comprise the Liberty Bell massif. The climbing varies from easy 400 foot routes to difficult multi-day aid routes on it's 1200 foot East face. The two classic routes are the 400 foot Beckey Route (5.5) and the 1200 foot Liberty Crack route (5.9, A3).
|Best months for climbing:||May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||September 27th, 1946|
|First successful climber(s):||Fred Beckey, Jerry O'Neill, Charles Walsh|
|Nearest major airport:||Seattle|
Thanks to Scott Presho for adding this peak.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 20 trip reports for Liberty Bell Mountain.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #20680 - by Joel on Mar 01, 2007Great Climb. My partner freed the first pitch...we didn't think it was 11b...I did the second pitch.
- Log #18855 - by Stephanie Nibler on Feb 14, 2006Climbed the Beckey route with Howard. Beautiful climb, great day and awesome climbing partner!!!
- Log #18888 - by Stephanie Nibler on Feb 14, 2006What an awesome climb! We came off the mountain in the moonlight, after encountering only a few other climbers the whole day. Howard-thanks for leading!
- Log #19062 - by Roy Ratliff on Feb 14, 2006The Beckey route is wonderful, not to difficult (5.6 to ?) depending on how lost you get. Only 2 1/2 pitches of roped climbing. Well worth doing more than once.
- Log #8515 - by Samantha de la Vega on June 30, 2004Did the Beckey route for my first climb. Challenging but not impossible - drew some good parallels around life and fear - got to remember to breathe and slow down before moving up! Went with David...
- Log #8516 - by Joel Willis on June 05, 2004Great awesome classic climb...not really A3...one hook move you can use a tricam on...lightning storm broke out just as we were summiting.
- Log #8517 - by Glenn Phipps on May 19, 2004Absolutely no one else on the rock! We had the entire day to ourselves! Weather -perfect, Beckey route was all its led up to believe! Great climb! Next day on SEWS another great day!
- Log #8518 - by Jere VanDomelen on Jan 31, 2004I didn't see a Barberpole route listing, so thought I'd enter one. I've done the route a few times and like it, but can say others don't. Access via the parking area near the rest stop. Walk to the...
- Log #8519 - by Jason Capuzzi on Oct 03, 2003We saw seven mountain goats approaching the Becky Route. Awesome!!!!
- Log #8520 - by
Bob, Cindy, Mike on Aug 30, 2003Excellent climb, fairly easy for its grade. That approach gulley can be a real shooting gallery with clumsy footed party's. Climb it later in the day to avoid the crowd!
- Log #8521 - by Howard Weise on June 17, 2003If you can't find rappel anchors, keep looking to the left when facing the rock!!
- Log #8522 - by Tommy LaCrosse on May 10, 2003Climbed the Becky route with Rich. A very beautiful day and the climbing was a whole lot of fun. The route is very clean and the climbing is fairly easy. Loved it!
- Log #8523 - by Brian Graves on May 13, 2002Summated with my pal Ben Roy. First party up LB this year. Did variation of "Overexposed" route on south face. It lived up to its name! Thanks Ben.
- Log #8524 - by Kevin Quinn on Sep 17, 2001Did the becky route on the liberty bell. an amazing climb. weather was perfect views were amazing. i would climb it 1000 times.
- Log #8525 - by Aidan Haley on Oct 21, 2000My cousin and i had glorious one day climb on the beckey route, although the amount of people on the route was a draw back
- Log #8526 - by Andrew Latimer on June 18, 2000Reached the summit via the Beckey route with a Mountain Madness expedition led by Tom Milne. Was very fun, but stuck on repel ledge for an hour freezing in rock shoes. A very gratifying experience!...
- Log #8527 - by Kyle Flick on May 03, 2000Chris Mudry from Bellingham and I fixed the first four pitches on Sat., April 29, but it snowed that night forcing us to jug up frozen ropes Sun. morning. Ice chips pelted us from above and the...
- Log #8529 - by
ED MARSHALL on June 29, 1999DID LIBERTY CRACK -LOVED THE CLIMB-DEFINETLY NOT A-3, MORE LIKE A-1/2, WAS VERY HOT THAT YEAR, BUT THE FREE CLIMBING WAS STUPENDOUS
- Log #8530 - by dean Kolnick on June 13, 1999Summited via becky route fun introduction to alpine rock
- Log #8531 - by Fred Spicker on Apr 27, 1999Both climbs via Becky Route. 1979 with Monica Spicker 1982 with Paul Bishop