|Difficulty:||Basic Snow/Ice Climb|
|Best months for climbing:||Jul, Aug, Sep|
|Year first climbed:||1865|
|First successful climber(s):||J.J. Weilenmann and J. Fellay|
|Nearest major airport:||Geneva|
Mont Blanc de Cheilon is a large complex peak with many rock and ice ridges. The north facing ridges and north face offer difficult technical routes while most of the other ridges are moderate routes that can be accomplished under snowy conditions.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 11 trip reports for Mont Blanc de Cheilon.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #8593 - by tom everett on Sep 01, 2003perfect conditions apart from a pitch of ice approx 3500m up. used 1 ice screw and 1 ice axe each
- Log #8594 - by roger gaff on July 14, 2003Lovely traverse of the mountain from Dix hut via the East ridge and the descent of the West. My first 'biggish' alpine peak at sixty! with fine companions from Speyside.
- Log #8595 - by nick arran & adam pokorny on July 13, 2003It was a few years back but............. vignettes (the most magnificent hut) to cabanne des dix via pigne d'arolla, stopped by a difficult gendarme before the summit of mont blanc (in the notch...
- Log #8596 - by jan pison on Oct 27, 2000Direct route on the N-face. Splendid conditions, after 5 days of bad weather.
- Log #8597 - by Steve Wilson on Oct 11, 2000The climb was breathtaking. A must for anyone who enjoys the mountains.
- Log #8598 - by Trevor Laboski on Dec 16, 1999Great deal of wind. Poor rock at start. Better above. What a view!
- Log #8599 - by Cor Verhoeckx on Sep 17, 1999Traverse of Mont Blanc de Cheilon and Pigne d'Arolla from cabane des Dix to cabane des Vignettes. The east ridge consists of pretty loose rock. Better do the traverse the other way round.
- Log #8600 - by Gert Beeckmans on Aug 05, 1999Superb mountain. The ridges are beautiful but quite airy. We took the normal way up. A traverse of the mountain seemed very beautiful too, but cannot be underestimated.
- Log #8601 - by Geurt van Rennes on July 01, 1999Nice trip over Pigne d'Arolla and Mont Blanc de Cheilon. Site in Dutch with story of the climb.
- Log #8602 - by Elwin van der Gragt on Apr 27, 1999Ascent via N-Face direct. Ice non-existant. Snow (firn/ hoarfrost) on poor rock. Climb was quite hazardous.
- Log #8603 - by Fred Spicker on Apr 26, 1999Ascent via the NW Ridge. Much new snow, but a beautiful day.