|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Auckland/Wellington|
Thanks to Robert Downie for adding this peak.
Mt Tongario is an old volcano but is still considered active. It's last eruption was in 1926 and has a number of coloured lakes on its uneven summit as well as hot springs. There is an easy day walk that crosses its saddle ("the tongario crossing") with a detour to the summit taking about an hour.
Thanks to Robert Downie for this description.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Mount Tongariro in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Mount Tongariro.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #19321 - by Adam Mohammed on Sep 27, 2006I hiked up here as part of a 3-night trek called the Tongariro Northern Circuit. The full day spent going up to the Tongariro massif was spent largely on the "Crossing" route. Beautiful views,...
- Log #9131 - by Les Charters on May 07, 2003Climbed this mountain in 1985 with Lydia Hajnos. One of the most special people to ever step into my life. It was covered in snow. A lovely day in the mountains.
- Log #9132 - by Marcus Neubronner on Mar 01, 2003It's an easy climb, actually a hike. You can do it as a side trip on the Tongariro Crossing. If you do the Tongariro Crossing or the Northern Circuit I recommend that you go for an early start, i.e....
- Log #9133 - by harold pine on Feb 23, 2003Easy walk. Worth doing as part of the Tongariro Crossing. We still finished in plenty of time to catch the bus in the afternoon
- Log #9135 - by Matt King on May 01, 2001We walked up the normal "motorway" path as part of the Crossing. Descended off-track on a SSE bearing towards the South Crater down a steep-ish, slaty face which was a little unstable but...