Mt Tongario is an old volcano but is still considered active. It's last eruption was in 1926 and has a number of coloured lakes on its uneven summit as well as hot springs. There is an easy day walk that crosses its saddle ("the tongario crossing") with a detour to the summit taking about an hour.
|Best months for climbing:||Jan, Feb, Nov, Dec|
|Nearest major airport:||Auckland/Wellington|
Thanks to Robert Downie for adding this peak.
Sorry, we don't currently have the latitude and longitude of Mount Tongariro in our database. Therefore we can't show this peak on a map.
NOTE: Trip reports were previously called "Summit Logs" - same feature, new name
There are 5 trip reports for Mount Tongariro.
Select any entry from the list below:
- Log #19321 - by Adam Mohammed on Sep 27, 2006I hiked up here as part of a 3-night trek called the Tongariro Northern Circuit. The full day spent going up to the Tongariro massif was spent largely on the "Crossing" route. Beautiful views,...
- Log #9131 - by Les Charters on May 07, 2003Climbed this mountain in 1985 with Lydia Hajnos. One of the most special people to ever step into my life. It was covered in snow. A lovely day in the mountains.
- Log #9132 - by Marcus Neubronner on Mar 01, 2003It's an easy climb, actually a hike. You can do it as a side trip on the Tongariro Crossing. If you do the Tongariro Crossing or the Northern Circuit I recommend that you go for an early start, i.e....
- Log #9133 - by harold pine on Feb 23, 2003Easy walk. Worth doing as part of the Tongariro Crossing. We still finished in plenty of time to catch the bus in the afternoon
- Log #9135 - by Matt King on May 01, 2001We walked up the normal "motorway" path as part of the Crossing. Descended off-track on a SSE bearing towards the South Crater down a steep-ish, slaty face which was a little unstable but...